Skip to main content
Topic: Mass coversion to the latest nwc file type. (Read 2754 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass coversion to the latest nwc file type.

Okay.  So I've been convinced to use version 2.55 and have 535 .nwc files from version 1.75.
Any thoughts on a strategy to convert.. or do it as needed?  I suspect that 1.75 will work in windows 10, but if not,
it will be mass conversion time.  I'm surprised the Noteworthy hasn't put together a batch converter.

PB

Re: Mass coversion to the latest nwc file type.

Reply #1
I'm surprised the Noteworthy hasn't put together a batch converter.
Well, they have, kind of. In the Noteworthy 2.51 install folder, there is a program named nwc-conv.exe, which is a command line utility for converting between different formats. If you open a command window (a.k.a. "DOS box"), in that folder and type "nwc-conv", it will display the syntax and options available. If you understand the Windows command line syntax, it would be fairly simple to create a batch file that will convert a series of scores in a folder or folder tree. Maybe someone else will have posted an example by the time I finish this post :)

Mike

Reply #3
To expand on Rick's comment, next time you open the file in a later version of NWC and then save it, it is automatically saved in the new version.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thank you Lawrie and Rick.  Yes, I'm good with command lines.  I can wait, but its my way to stay with or move on.  I think that moving
to full use of the latest, reading faqs and this forum will help.  I basically write violin parts, finger and bow them and put them on my site.
I had several excellent teachers and have a great friend, so its my intention to share the wealth, so to speak.  So I'm not composing, I just have to do my best to stay away from Finale a program that tries my patience.  The more noteworthy does, the better I like it, love it.

PB

Reply #5
I guess I'll wait and convert as I use files.  The nwc-conv.exe will not convert like format types.  So nwc (1.75) to nwc (2.51) gives an error message.  The program states its for converting nwc to nwctext or midi.  Not to upgrade files.  So I'll pull the old ones out of the pot and re-heat them as needed. LOL

Reply #6
[font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Liberation Sans', 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, sans-serif]NWC has been very good about being forward compatible.  Version 1.75 won't open Version 2 files, but Version 2 will open Version 1.75 songs.[/font]

As Lawrence said 2 or 3 postings ago, you don't need to convert the files.  Next time you want to open any of them, just do it with Version 2.  When you save the file, it will save as Version 2.  

For your own reassurance, since NWC files are small, it wouldn't take much disc space to copy all your 500 or so song files to a new folder to keep as a permanent backup.

But do upgrade.  Version 2 does so much more than the earlier generation.

Reply #7
There are two very good reasons to upgrade all of your files to 2.75 format:

• upgrade all of your text to utf-8, which means that it is no longer interpreted by the ANSI text rules in effect on each user's system
  • the file content will be stored as nwctxt, which is potentially much easier to recover after something like a file corruption

I wouldn't recommend doing this until after 2.75 is in general release.