Skip to main content
Topic: Acciaccatura.ms (version 1.4) (Read 30681 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Acciaccatura.ms (version 1.3)

Reply #50
Thanks Mike, very clear.
Sorry for having made you typing so much.

Reply #51
Actually the process was beneficial to me. When I started the explanation, I was not certain that the mathematics were going to work out for your example. But as I proceeded (with a little help from Lua debug statements) everything matched my predictions exactly. As a result, I have a better understanding on how these API functions work, and I also have a few ideas on how I can improve this and other objects.

Span?

Reply #52
If Class is set to StaffSig, then multiple grace notes will be processed, up to the next Acciaccatura object occurrence.
And if Class is set to Span?
Looking at the code it seems that "Span" is the same as "Standard". So why there is the Span option?

Re: Span?

Reply #53
And if Class is set to Span?
Looking at the code it seems that "Span" is the same as "Standard". So why there is the Span option?
I have no control over the value of the Class parameter on a user object; all 3 choices are always available. I don't know how the object would behave if Class were set to Span, but I am not doing anything in the code to handle it, so I would recommend users not pick that setting. The only thing I could do is to force a reset of Class to Standard (or StaffSig) if the user somehow sets it to Span.

Reply #54
I suspected something like that.
Thanks.

Reply #55
Hi Mike,
possible bug report :(
I was just notating a score to fiddle with and came across a problem:

In the following code snippet, the acciaccatura object causes the 3rd high C to playback as C and E chord (same E as the grace note used for the acciaccatura) and the E continues to sound until the acciaccatura (or the grace note it's next to) is reached.

If you remove the object OR unmute the grace note the playback is normal.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#,C#,G#,D#|Tonic:E
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:8|Opts:Crescendo
|DynamicVariance|Style:Sforzando|Pos:-8|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th,Accent|Pos:8
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto,Slur|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Bar
|Dynamic|Style:p|Pos:-8
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:5
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto,Slur|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:3|Rate:1
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:3|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #56
Actually Lawrie, it's trying to do what you told it to do in  a way.

You have the rate option set to 1.  This is equivalent of a whole note length of Acciaccatura.
If you change it to 64 or 128, I think you'll find all is OK.

Rich.

Reply #57
Ahh, I didn't realise that.  Clearly I didn't read something...

Thanks Rich
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

A ghost in my score!

Reply #58
Hi Mike,
at the very end of the attached score I heard a ghost G note (acciaccatura) identical to the one at the beginning of the last measure.
Why?

Remove the grace note at the beginning of the last measure and the ghost disappears.
Put a "|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:0|Rate:32" before the grace note at the beginning of the last measure and the ghost disappears.

Re: A ghost in my score!

Reply #59
I heard a ghost G note (acciaccatura) identical to the one at the beginning of the last measure.
Why?
The acciaccatura objects get invoked according to the musical flow but they schedule playback according to the visual layout:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
|Rest|Dur:Half
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:0|Class:StaffSig|Rate:16
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:-2|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:-1|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:-1|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Rest|Dur:Half
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:0|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
Seems like the way to fix it is to put an acciaccatura object after each Master or Local Repeat Open and after each Special Ending.
Probably 'To Coda' and Coda also need this, but I have not tested.

If there are only a few, it seems easier to use Standard rather than StaffSig.
Registered user since 1996

Re: A ghost in my score!

Reply #60
The acciaccatura objects get invoked according to the musical flow but they schedule playback according to the visual layout:
It took me a bit to understand what you're meaning but I think I got it.

I think it's more straightforward to say that the acciaccatura object at StaffSig doesn't take correct care of the flow.
And, as usual, I forgot what Mike wrote:
I will probably update the object to prevent StaffSig playback, unless someone can convince me that it's possible to overcome these issues.
So, in a nutshell, if you want to use the acciaccatura object at StaffSig for playing use it at your own risk.
But maybe a little note in the help on the problems flow-related could save (me) some puzzling next time.

Reply #61
I'm very embarrassed to post this, but where exactly should I paste this plugin? I've neglected Noteworthy for a long time now except for a few very minor quick things and have now written a little song in Afrikaans (about frogs) which needs acciaccaturas as a feature. I need the slash and then there's another problem, the crushed note is before a chord and I need the slur to go to the top note in each case - I've battled for a couple of days now to find a way of doing this without resorting to using a hidden extra stave. 

Reply #62
No need to be embarrassed, I'd say ...

Put the plugin at the very beginning of the staff; and set its class to "StaffSig".
(In detail: Place cursor at beginning of staff; press J, select the Acciaacatura object, OK --> now select "StaffSig" as Class [where it says "Standard"]).

Re slurs: I'm not sure what you want exactly, but you can always select a note or chord, open its properties (Alt-Enter), and then select some option under "Slur Direction" - this should move the slur where you want it. If you need more control of slurs, best ask back - there are a few possibilities ("Markers", on the one hand; and the "Slur.ms" object, on the other hand).

I have attached a small example, maybe it helps.

H.M.

Reply #63
Wow! Thank you so much, Hmmueller for your help, and also to Mike Shawaluk for the plugin. It worked brilliantly and now I'm not so concerned about the slur although it would be nice to have that one day - I had already experimented with the simple up/down option but to no avail as what I need is for the slur to be the underneath type just as the default is, but from the acciaccatura to the top note of the chord. But I'm thrilled with the look of the thing now! Thanks again!

Reply #64
One more attempt with the slurs ... something like you see in the attachment? - it uses Slur.ms objects with a fair number of custom X/Y and also "Strength" (which controls the bend) adjustments. If the grace notes are far away, giving that slur a nice bend doesn't seem so easy ...

H.M.

Reply #65
Actually, if all she wants is a downward slur that connects to the top note in the chord, a marker object does the trick nicely:
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace,Slur|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up
|Marker|Pos:-0.5
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3,1

Reply #66
Hi Mike = this is exactly what I was wanting and when i saw your sample in NWC, I selected the entire chord plus acciaccatura and moved the whole thing up and brilliant - the chord moved to the desired stem down, and acciaccatura stayed in position with stem up! When adding this into my file, do I just do what I did with the original plugin and add it to the stave before the clef? I will probably have to use your other script to move the acciaccatura a bit closer. When I'm finished, I'll post the file as a curiosity in the Scriptorium if Richard approves:)

Reply #67
Hi Ann,

You can use the Acciaccatura object two ways, either as a Standard or StaffSig class object. When Class is set to Standard, the object will only affect the first grace note which follows it, and the object's marker will be the small teardrop shape. When it is a StaffSig object, it will have the oval label, and it will affect grace notes that follow on that staff, up until the next Acciaccatura object it encounters. I decided to use a Standard one in my sample clip, but this will work with either type.

If you want to move the grace note closer to the chord, you can use a Spacer object to do that. While most people think of spacers as being useful to create extra space between notes, you can also use them to reduce space, since a spacer will take the place of the normal inter-note spacing. See the following example:
|User|Acciaccatura.ms|Pos:0|Class:StaffSig
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Bar
|Spacer|Width:75
|Bar
|Spacer|Width:50

Reply #68
Thanks so much Mike,

It's always exciting learning something new about the program - I've really not experimented enough and had never used the marker insert, and the spacer I had only used before for extra space. You are all so helpful on this group - Thanks to everyone.
Best wishes,
Ann

Acciaccatura.ms (version 1.4)

Reply #69
The Acciaccatura.ms user object has been updated to version 1.4, with the following changes:

• Error checking has been added for playback that is outside the SPP offset limits of NWC objects.

The parent post has also had additional comments added about the maximum SPP offset.