Skip to main content
Topic: compress the spaces (Read 4974 times) previous topic - next topic

compress the spaces

How to compress the spaces of long notes?

Re: compress the spaces

Reply #1
Two ways:
1) Go to |File|Page Setup|Options (tab) and deselect "Increase spacing for longer notes"
2) Use the spacer object. Press the <Insert> key where you want to adjust space - note that if you have multiple staves in a system then you will need to place the spacer objects in each staff at the same relative position.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Two ways.

1. In the Options tab on Page set up, make sure "Increase spacing for longer notes" is not selected.
2. You can always enter a spacer (insert key) between notes and set the spacer width to whatever suits you. As long as there is nothing else on any other staff that would stop the gap being reduced, then you will reduce the gap between the notes on either side of the spacer.

Rich.

Reply #3
Ha ! Snap. Hi Lawrie.
Rich.

Reply #4
I tried both ways, but I have to reduce the gap between minimum to reduce the pages to print. Unfortunately, in the same file I need to reduce the space of 60 bars of minimum of 400 quarter notes.
There are other solutions without splitting the file?

Reply #5
Use the Spacer Command.
As you can see from the attachment, it will squash more than anyone should need :)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Use the Spacer Command.
As you can see from the attachment, it will squash more than anyone should need :)

One thing that might be worth mentioning here (that was not obvious to me until I tried out spacers) is that inserting a single spacer will generally reduce the amount of space between two objects. That is, an inserted spacer will override the space that is normally placed between the objects, not just add space to what is already present. As has been mentioned, pressing Insert multiple times increases the width of the spacer that has been inserted (you can also edit the spacer width through its Properties window).

Mike

Reply #8
I tried both ways, but I have to reduce the gap between minimum to reduce the pages to print. Unfortunately, in the same file I need to reduce the space of 60 bars of minimum of 400 quarter notes.
There are other solutions without splitting the file?

Instead of reducing space between notes, have you considered other ways to get the music on one page? One would be to reduce the distance between staffs (press F2 and select Visual, and adjust the upper and lower boundaries).  Another would be to reduce the note sizes - if you've been using size 18, consider if you need more than, say, size 14.  Select Page Setup / Fonts

Reply #9
if the control system break widen the spaces in the line, with the same command can not restrict them?

Reply #10
I haven't converted this to a user tool yet so you would have to use it while NWC is open and do alt/tab to go between them.
Spacer.htm.
Since 1998

Reply #11
Here's my tuppence worth:

An approach to saving space, is to automatically insert spacers in a selection or a whole staff.
In a score of multiple staves, it's often also necessary to apply spacers in staves above and/or below
to obtain best results.

1. I've found rg_Squash.php by Rick very useful,
    as it can squash a whole staff or a selection to the utmost.
    It can be found at:
    http://my.noteworthysoftware.com/?topic=8003.0

2. Together with the essential companion rg_ZapSpacers.php
    to be found at:
    http://my.noteworthysoftware.com/?topic=8131.0

which allows you to remove all spacers from a staff or selection.

3.  As I'm rather lazy (and not much of a programmer),
    I've made up a selection tools for the spacers which I normally use.
    (With apologies to Rick).
    As a sample, I've attached rg_Squash_0.75.php

With these tools available, it's fun to quickly experiment to find the best layout.