Skip to main content
Topic: Converting NWC2 file to midi file (Read 8096 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting NWC2 file to midi file

I just purchased NWC2 and added text to my first piece of music.  Is there a way to convert nwc2 file to a midi file in order to play the song in the older version of Noteworthy player or any other midi player for that matter?

Thanks so much!
Rose Mary

Re: Converting NWC2 file to midi file

Reply #1
MIDI conversion is handled by the File->Export... Command
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Hi Rick:

I did this, however, I have four lines of verse and it only converts the first line of verse.  How do I get it to give me all 4 lines of verse which is in the first staff instead of only the first verse?

Thanks so much!
Rose Mary

Reply #3
MIDI has no concept of verses.
If you have your song set up to play only the first verse, that is all that will go in to the MIDI file.
You might try exporting the sample file: SAVEQUEN.nwc
This has 2 verses and is set up to play both of them. I think you will find that both verses are exported.

Hope this helps.

Reply #4
There is no way to bring up to instances of Noteworthy Composer 2 in order to view them side by side to go through all the properties to know what is different in order to know how to export in order to have all the verses.  Do you or anyone know what the property change is or what makes Noteworthy export and add onto the end all the verses?  I could not see the difference upon first glance.  Or does someone know how to bring up two instances of NoteWorthy composer 2 in order to put them side by side to find the difference easier?

Thanks so much!
Rose Mary

Reply #6
Do you or anyone know what the property change is or what makes Noteworthy export and add onto the end all the verses?  I could not see the difference upon first glance.
Usually, it is a Master Repeat Close.

See: Styled Bar Line Command.
On NWC's Insert menu, it is listed as Bar Line (Decorated) ...

Reply #7
in order to play the song in the older version of Noteworthy player

By the way: you have also the option File->Export->Save as Noteworthy Composer 1.75
Of course something will be lost, but I think it's more useful than MIDI.

Reply #8
Well, I tried the Master Repeat Close, however this Close is not in the sample.  It uses a section close, but I did it anyway, and I got 2 verses to export and play, but still need two more to be added.  I am not sure what to do since this information is not according to the sample, but the sample only has 2 verses.  What do I do now?  I totally do not understand where a command line is to bring up a second instance of nwc2.  Please help!

Thanks so much!
Rose Mary

Reply #9
Well, I tried the Master Repeat Close, however this Close is not in the sample.  It uses a section close, but I did it anyway, and I got 2 verses to export and play, but still need two more to be added.
So you are making progress ...

To get the Master Repeat Close to work for more than 2 verses, you also need a Special Ending. See the Coda section of the sample file: REPEAT4.nwc

I totally do not understand where a command line is to bring up a second instance of nwc2.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_command. For WinXP, the run command I use is:
"C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\NWC2.exe" /newinst
The command for your computer will depend on your Windows version and how you installed NWC.

Have you tried opening the 2 songs you want to compare into one instance and using the Tile Windows Command?

Reply #10
Comparing two scores not too different usually is much easier using the nwctxt format and a file compare tool.
I personally use examdiff pro (you can use http://www.diffnow.com/ for free), but everyone has its own preferences.
Of course you need a bit of practice with nwctxt syntax, so maybe it's not the best for a newbie.

Reply #11
Hi Rick:

After seeing how NWC exports to midi, I decided to copy each staff three additional times and paste at the end of each staff, and put all the lyrics into the first line, and it exported to the midi file and plays exactly the way I desire.  This eliminates the Master Repeat Close and all the other property changes.  It keeps it simple which for a novice is the way I need it to be.  As far as the new instance, once I export the nwc file to midi, I can bring it up in the old version of NW Viewer and bring up all the instances very easily, therefore, everything works great!  Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Kind regards,
Rose Mary