Skip to main content
Topic: Hint (Read 7304 times) previous topic - next topic

Hint

Just before a concert, my daughter mixed up the pages of the various pieces she had to play.
She had no time to sort them all, so my wife volunteered to do it for her.

Small problem: my wife knows very little about musical notation and many pages had the page number but not the title of the piece...

Why not allow to print somewere in all the pages (header or footer) the title in small characters?

N.B. My daughter had to play by heart. :-)

Re: Hint

Reply #1
Many people overcome this with text on pages 2 and up, but it is tedious to position it correctly, and can change if the song is edited. I agree, headers and footers would be a great addition. I believe others have suggested it over the years.

Reply #2
Yup - I'm who does it manually (including the instrument name when it's an ensemble piece).

It's a PAIN but really must be done.

Headers and footers PLEASE, with automagic Title, instrument and page number as well as free text (to put the key or similar in)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I second the motion - although I want good slurs first!

Reply #4
Headers and footers PLEASE, with automagic Title, instrument and page number as well as free text (to put the key or similar in)
This would be a great addition to NWC.

I suspect granting the wish for Good Slurs may be just a bit more difficult.

Reply #5
This would be a great addition to NWC.

I suspect granting the wish for Good Slurs may be just a bit more difficult.

It would be better to label this as Easier Good Slurs. There are all manner of tricks and workarounds to make slurs look better, by using hidden grace notes/rests and layers. And I can appreciate that it's either more difficult to implement, or lower on Eric's development priority list (or perhaps a bit of both). I really like NWC and try to use it for all my scoring needs, but it is increasingly tempting to fire up MuseScore when I have a score whose slurs or beams aren't going to look right without a lot of extra work. And I apologize for comparing NWC to "the competition" - it's not my intent to denigrate the program, as it is still my favorite app from a usability and consistency point of view. Hopefully in an environment where there are competitors, there will be incentive for all to continue to improve.

Reply #6
I really like NWC and try to use it for all my scoring needs, but it is increasingly tempting to fire up MuseScore when I have a score whose slurs or beams aren't going to look right without a lot of extra work.
Have you tried LilyPond and my Noteworthy converter?  I never have to resort to Noteworthy tricks to get decent slurs: they're either good enough already, or the beziers of the slur can be adjusted in extreme need.

Reply #7
... I suspect granting the wish for Good Slurs may be just a bit more difficult.

I'm sorry.

Users have requested decent slurs ever since the initial NWC2 beta testing started. I suspect they are the most frequently requested change.  Yet a dozen years later we still have bizarre slurs that call out to be tweaked with workarounds or fixed by exporting the file to another program. 

"The time has come," the Walrus said,"To fix the blessed thing!"

Reply #8
Lilypond?  What's that?

Reply #10
I second the motion - although I want good slurs first!
Absolutely!  (Although who knows when I'll upgrade to the software that has them).  Even as dim as I am about this software, I have found a "sometimes" workaround for the awful slurs!

Reply #11
I'm sorry.

Users have requested decent slurs ever since the initial NWC2 beta testing started. I suspect they are the most frequently requested change.  Yet a dozen years later we still have bizarre slurs that call out to be tweaked with workarounds or fixed by exporting the file to another program. 

"The time has come," the Walrus said,"To fix the blessed thing!"

Cabbages and kings say you are absolutely right.