Skip to main content
Topic: Losing a toolbar (Read 8027 times) previous topic - next topic

Losing a toolbar

The piano keyboard at the bottom of the NWC window - is that what is called the piano toolbar?  I've lost it, (don't know how or when) and I can't recover it.  When I view toolbars, it is checked.  I've even tried turning it off and back on, and nothing seems to work.  I suspect I accidentally hit some key or combination of keys that eliminated it, but I can't figure out how to get it back.

Re: Losing a toolbar

Reply #1
Never mind; I did a "restore to factory defaults", and got it back.  Since I didn't have anything changed intentionally, I'm OK with that.

Reply #2
OK, now what did I do?  The bar lines and notes are coming out in red.  First entries since resetting the toolbars.  I didn't have that ever before.

Reply #3
Found the colors selection under notes, but nothing seems to do what I want.  It was set up as Item color one, I changed it to default, and it just added the red to the stems.

Reply #4
I've got it back to entering the notes the correct color, but I can't change the ones I already entered it red.  I tried highlighting them and setting the color to default, but they didn't change.  Apparently, setting it to default did change the entry.  And the red bar line changed back (to blue when the staff is active, black when inactive).

Reply #5
Susanna,
I'll try to answer:
1. Please check in NWC: Help -> About -> Version ? (I'm using 2.5.5) and tell us which version you are using.
2. To toggle a toolbar on or off:  View -> Toolbars -> (I suggest that you select all five)
3. I cannot duplicate your colour problem, do you have some staves layered?
4. What has had me hot under the collar, had been caused by Persistent Note Tools which you can reach by:
    Notes -> Persistent Note Tools -> (where I normally only select Notehead and switch off all the rest.

Reply #6
Susanna,
I'll try to answer:
1. Please check in NWC: Help -> About -> Version ? (I'm using 2.5.5) and tell us which version you are using.
2. To toggle a toolbar on or off:  View -> Toolbars -> (I suggest that you select all five)
3. I cannot duplicate your colour problem, do you have some staves layered?
4. What has had me hot under the collar, had been caused by Persistent Note Tools which you can reach by:
    Notes -> Persistent Note Tools -> (where I normally only select Notehead and switch off all the rest.
I'm using version 2.1.  I had tried toggling the toolbars, and it remained off, no matter what I did.  As I mentioned later, I got it back by resetting to factory settings, and that was when the red notes came up.  I've fixed the cause, but can't change the notes that are already red.  I don't have anything layered.  I had started inputting the tenor voice in the bass clef when the error occurred, and the last few notes of that clef are red.  If I could send you an attachment with the file (can we do that on pm's?), maybe you could take a look at it and figure something out.  It's not really anything earth-shaking, as I'm only using it for my own enjoyment (the song is not yet in public domain, so I don't want to get into any copyright trouble).

Reply #7
I've got it back to entering the notes the correct color, but I can't change the ones I already entered it red.  I tried highlighting them and setting the color to default, but they didn't change.
In addition to changing Visbility->'Item Color' to Default, you also may need to set Notes->'Notehead Color' to Default
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
In addition to changing Visbility->'Item Color' to Default, you also may need to set Notes->'Notehead Color' to Default
Maybe you have a different version of NWC?  I have v. 1.2.  I can't find a "visibility option"; I can find Notes->Color (which I set to default); Notes-> Noteheads has only the option of type of note (ie, standard, X, diamond, blank).

Reply #10
Another way to look at or change toolbars is to right click in an unused part of the toolbar area.

Sometimes it's possible to make changes at the batch level using a text editor on nwctxt data, especially if your editor supports (and you know how to use) "regular expressions".  For example:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0!1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
the first note is black (default) and the others are red.  To change all them to default, just remove the "!0".

To use an editor on a part of a NWC file:
  • Save the file.
  • Create a "good" object (i.e., note or rest) in front of those you need to change.
  • Cut your model and the things you need to change to the clipboard.
  • Start your editor (if necessary) and paste the clipboard into the workspace.
  • Make your changes with that editor's "search and replace" function.
  • Remove your model object if need be.
  • Select everything in the editor and cut it back to the clipboard.
  • Return to NWC (Alt/Tab).  Doing it this way won't change the cursor position.
  • Paste it back into NWC (CntlV).
Since 1998

Reply #11
Unlikely. Perhaps you meant 2.1
Version 1.2 was replaced in 1996

Notehead Color is explained in: (link)
Item Color is explained in: (link)
You may also want to look at: (link)
Yes, I meant 2.1  I can read the info you gave me, but can't access what it describes.  Would it pay for me to upgrade?  And is there a cost to the upgrade?
Even so, it seems that the only option have is to reenter those notes manually.  Rather tedious, but it's only a few bars.

Reply #12
I can read the info you gave me, but can't access what it describes.
Must be a problem with your browser. I can follow the links in IE8 without logging in. You might try going to Noteworthy's Home page and searching for the links.

Reply #13
Must be a problem with your browser. I can follow the links in IE9 without logging in.
I can follow the links OK, but they didn't get me to the tool.  I've got Firefox, not sure what version, it has been updating automatically.

I manually fixed the notes; there were only 6 measures, 6/8 meter.

Reply #14
I can follow the links OK, but they didn't get me to the tool.
There is no "tool" to get. The links simply describe Note Properties and how to change them. I intended the links as an explanation of:

Reply #15
Another way to look at or change toolbars is to right click in an unused part of the toolbar area.

Sometimes it's possible to make changes at the batch level using a text editor on nwctxt data, especially if your editor supports (and you know how to use) "regular expressions".  For example:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
the first note is black (default) and the others are red.  To change all them to default, just remove the "!0".

To use an editor on a part of a NWC file:
  • Save the file.
  • Create a "good" object (i.e., note or rest) in front of those you need to change.
  • Cut your model and the things you need to change to the clipboard.
  • Start your editor (if necessary) and paste the clipboard into the workspace.
  • Make your changes with that editor's "search and replace" function.
  • Remove your model object if need be.
  • Select everything in the editor and cut it back to the clipboard.
  • Return to NWC (Alt/Tab).  Doing it this way won't change the cursor position.
  • Paste it back into NWC (CntlV).
I have not yet figured out how to apply the "code" function.

Reply #16
Susanna,
1. It would definitely help if you could upgrade to NWC 2.5.5
In NWC, Help -> Access Noteworthy Software.com

2. I chose to buy the 2.5.5 version outright, with the official CD, even though I own a licence for the previous version.
   (The reason: It saves a LOT of hassle compared to trying to update from Version 2.1)
3. There are charges: USD $49 + [USD $10 for the disk (essential if your internet is so flaky AND for future updates)]
4. It's unlikely that you will be able to use Warren Porter's code in NWC 2.1
    - at least the "(2.5" would have to be changed to "(2.1"
Addendum:
5. If you have already upgraded your membership to this forum:  
    Whilst typing a reply
    you should see "Additional Options..." at the bottom left of the frame in which you are typing.
    If you click on it, it opens ATTACH: with  Browse. which you can use to locate your *.nwc file
    (or other type of file which is allowed)
to send to this forum.
6. If you have not upgraded your membership, please ask Rick G. for the necessary link, if the more link of:
    News: Licensed NWC2 users can upgrade their community membership [more]
    at the top of this page is insufficient.

Reply #17
the more link of:
News: Licensed NWC2 users can upgrade their community membership [more]
at the top of this page

Gosh! I was sure I saw it somewhere... :-)

Reply #18
Not sure that I should spend the money to upgrade now.  I'm pretty sure my copy of NWC is registered, but it's been so long since I got it, I've lost track of all the info.  I'll be thinking about it later - have had a lot of extra expenses the last couple of years, and having all the goodies that go with an upgraded membership aren't important enough to me now.

Reply #19
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help.