Skip to main content
Topic: Layering (Read 5548 times) previous topic - next topic

Layering

First of all, I want to thank Beth for helping me get back on the site after having lost (and forgotten) all my info.

Now, my question is this:  When you write the notes on two or more staves, and then layer them, is there away to actually "combine" the notes in the layered staff?  What I mean is, to make it appear that there is only one stem for the two notes layered together.  If there is no such way, how can I input multiple voices on one staff?  As I've mentioned before, I'm a rather new and somewhat timid user of Noteworthy, and don't spend enough time on it to really learn all the ins and outs.  I do not not have in means of input to the software other than manual, using the keyboard at the bottom of the screen.

My original intent was to use it to reproduce a bunch of old children's songs that I learned as a child, but that has somewhat fallen by the way, as my efforts at proper harmonization aren't the best.  Of course, I could always reproduce them with just the melody.  Anyway, I've been doing some experimentation, and I suppose that I will eventually arrive at a new purpose, but I keep getting stuck, such as with this layering issue.

Re: Layering

Reply #1
Now, my question is this:  When you write the notes on two or more staves, and then layer them, is there away to actually "combine" the notes in the layered staff?  What I mean is, to make it appear that there is only one stem for the two notes layered together.  If there is no such way, how can I input multiple voices on one staff?  As I've mentioned before, I'm a rather new and somewhat timid user of Noteworthy, and don't spend enough time on it to really learn all the ins and outs.  I do not not have in means of input to the software other than manual, using the keyboard at the bottom of the screen.

To enter a chord, do Cntl/Enter to add notes after the first one.  For example:  To enter a C major chord, find a C spot on the staff with the cursor and press Enter.  Then Up Arrow twice and Cntl/Enter for the E and repeat for the G.  This assumes no key signature is in place.

If you want to enter parts on different staves, this earlier thread might be helpful.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Thanks for all the info.  Some time ago, someone gave me a piece of code to fix a particular problem (I see some code posted in that thread you linked to), but I could never figure out how to apply the code.  How does that work?

Reply #3
Welcome  to the forum, Susanna.

The story below may seem complicated, but doing it step-by-step is really easy:
(I use the mouse to set the position on the staff where I want to enter a note)

If the notes are of the same duration (i.e. chords), it's very easy
(without layering):
1. Select duration of the note 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc
2. (If the note needs an accidental, select the accidental now)
    Enter the first note of the chord.
3. With the mouse positioned immediately to the right of the note you've just entered,
    position the mouse (cursor) at the correct "height" for the next note of the chord,
   (If the note needs an accidental, select the accidental now)
    then press Ctlr Enter  simultaneously.
4. Continue building your chord as in 3.

Should you need to remove a note out of a chord:
   Position the cursor immediately to the right
   at the same "height" as the note you want to remove,
   and press Ctrl BackSpace simultaneously.

If the the voices are of different duration,
5. Select the stem direction (up or down) for the shorter note(s)
    Enter the shorter note(s) as in 3 and 4 above.
6. Select the duration for the longer notes
    (NWC will automatically give them the other stem direction).
7. Continue building your chord as in 3 and 4.

Remember to set correct the stem directions (up or down) for the other notes (rests) in the measure,
so that each of  the up and down stems add up to the correct value.

I hope this helps.

Reply #4
Thanks!  I will print all this off, so that I have it handy whenever I'm working on something.  I do wish there was a less cumbersome way to do it, though.  But then, just to be able to do it at all is worth something.  I used to try to write some stuff on staff paper, but my notation is rather sloppy and hard to read, and it's nice to be able to create stuff like this in a nice, clean, readable mode.

Reply #5
Hot dog! It works!  I suppose all this is in the instruction manual, but I don't have it.  I was given to understand that I would have to download it to get it, and I have slow dial-up, so down-loading a large document isn't very practical.

Reply #6
I suppose all this is in the instruction manual, but I don't have it.  I was given to understand that I would have to download it to get it, and I have slow dial-up, so down-loading a large document isn't very practical.
It is not large. Just 1.2MB
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/files/nwc25guide.pdf
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Thanks!
In that case, I will try to download it sometime soon, when I have enough time to babysit it.  There are times when our connection isn't always reliable, too.
(Had to delete link in order to post)

Reply #8
To be able to include links and attachements to your posts you must upgrade your membership.
A very easy thing to do, but at the moment I can't find a link to the relevant instructions.
Rick, you're great in finding (and remembering) links...

Reply #9
Especially for people using dial-up,
where 1.2MB already figures as "LARGE",
I recommend downloading GETRIGHT (and buying after trying) from:

http://getright.com/get.html

The standard version is 4972KB
(which should be the last time you battle to download a large file)

Amongst others:
GETRIGHT allows you to resume (and / or pause) your download from most sites.
This is a great feature when your internet connection is prone to interruption.

My advice:
Do not get over-enthusiastic with speeding-up your download.
"Segmented" 2-times (at the most 3-times), has been the best for me.

Reply #10
Thanks for all the info.  Not going to try downloading today at all, since our internet connection has been pretty flaky so far.

Reply #11
A suggestion:
Is there any friend / acquaintance with ADSL who could download Getright for you and transfer it to you via memory stick or CD?

Reply #12
A suggestion:
Is there any friend / acquaintance with ADSL who could download Getright for you and transfer it to you via memory stick or CD?
Possibly, but not likely.  I live 'way out in the boonies, and the effort to get it to me manually is probably more than downloading it directly.