Skip to main content
Topic: Decidedly off topic: The Great Gatsby (Read 5095 times) previous topic - next topic

Decidedly off topic: The Great Gatsby

Sooo, has anyone in the States seen the latest remake of "The Great Gatsby", directed by Baz Luhrmann?  It opened in the US on the 10th.  Being in Oz I won't get to see it until the 30th as that's when it opens here.

What I'd like to know is if anyone noticed a white guy with a pretty big, mostly greyish beard dressed in tails with a boater on his head and weilding an old King 'bone?

I have no idea whether I ended up on the cutting room floor or not, but if you did see him, it was me :)

The gig came about when a buddy of mine forwarded a request from his agent for musicians to audition as extras for "an upcoming, big budget movie" - I figured "why not, I've never done anything like this before", went to the casting call and ended up getting the gig.  It was certainly a different experience...  The semi-controlled chaos of a big set like that was quite enlightening.

It was also a bit like history repeating itself: In 1944 the film "The Rats Of Tobruk" was made - it featured scenes filmed on Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia and my father was an extra in it (he was serving at the time and it seems the army "volunteered" a bunch of troops to help), so maybe we both made it into film :)  He never managed to see himself in the movie, he was just another head with a "tin hat" on it, I'm hoping I'm a bit more visible - guess I'll find out on the 30th ;-)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Decidedly off topic: The Great Gatsby

Reply #1
Congratulations Lawrie,
whether you be visible or not!
Thanks too, for the bit of history - very special to your family.

I have no idea when we in South Africa will have our chance.

Haymo.

Reply #2
I just saw it a few minutes ago and stayed for all the credits.   A lot of the music was done by the Bryan Ferry Band, is this the group you played in?

I tried to find you and saw as many as three 'bones in the scene at one time, but I can't honestly say I recognized you.  A band (BF?) was playing for Jay Gatsby's parties but after showing the whole thing for not more than a second (prob less), they zoomed in to the main characters.  When they were showing the whole scene, the trombones were a little left of center.

The credits mentioned Australia a number of times and also New South Wales.

Definitely something to tell the grandkids about!
Since 1998

Reply #3
I just saw it a few minutes ago and stayed for all the credits.   A lot of the music was done by the Bryan Ferry Band, is this the group you played in?

I tried to find you and saw as many as three 'bones in the scene at one time, but I can't honestly say I recognized you.  A band (BF?) was playing for Jay Gatsby's parties but after showing the whole thing for not more than a second (prob less), they zoomed in to the main characters.  When they were showing the whole scene, the trombones were a little left of center.

The credits mentioned Australia a number of times and also New South Wales.

Definitely something to tell the grandkids about!
Hey Warren, thanks for keeping an eye out.

It's funny 'bout the 3 'bones - I was the ONLY bone in the part I was in - and we didn't actually play, it was all miming to whatever we had in our heads - the dancing was to some techno stuff to give them rhythm - I believe the score hadn't been written when I did my bit...

The part I was in was the first party at Gatsby's home - I also did a bit of blue screen and running around as a guest at the second party...  can't wait till this Thursday and I can see it myself - I really hope I made it into the final cut.

Reply #4
It's funny 'bout the 3 'bones - I was the ONLY bone in the part I was in - and we didn't actually play, it was all miming to whatever we had in our heads - the dancing was to some techno stuff to give them rhythm - I believe the score hadn't been written when I did my bit...

The part I was in was the first party at Gatsby's home - I also did a bit of blue screen and running around as a guest at the second party...  can't wait till this Thursday and I can see it myself - I really hope I made it into the final cut.
Saw it again: You could be seen!  My wife very much enjoyed it with me--she was out of town the first time I saw it.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Saw it again: You could be seen!  My wife very much enjoyed it with me--she was out of town the first time I saw it.
Hey Warren, thanks mate - that's way cool and I'll get to see it in just a couple of hours!!!!

Reply #6
Well, just back from the theatre - thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I was a little disappointed on my appearance - unless you knew where to look you would have missed me - blurry figure off to the right with a trombone - on for about an 1/8th of a second...

At first I thought the first 'bone player at the first party might have been me, but I didn't have a red hat and I didn't see a beard on that chap - oh well...  my 15 minutes seems to be about 1/8th of a second instead - didn't even make the credits, though none of the extras did so I guess I can't kick.

Still, it was an interesting experience being involved.  Who knows - maybe I'll have another go some day.

Reply #7
At first I thought the first 'bone player at the first party might have been me, but I didn't have a red hat and I didn't see a beard on that chap - oh well...  my 15 minutes seems to be about 1/8th of a second instead - didn't even make the credits, though none of the extras did so I guess I can't kick.
That was the one I saw.
Since 1998

Reply #8
Thought it might have been which is why I decided to mention it.

We're going to buy the Blu-Ray when it becomes available and then I'm going to pore over sections frame by frame...  I did some blue screen work and was a guest at the second party so I want to see if I somehow appeared in the faceless sea of people...  ;)