NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-13 09:39 pm

Title: Decidedly off topic: The Great Gatsby
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-13 09:39 pm
Sooo, has anyone in the States seen the latest remake of "The Great Gatsby", directed by Baz Luhrmann?  It opened in the US on the 10th.  Being in Oz I won't get to see it until the 30th as that's when it opens here.

What I'd like to know is if anyone noticed a white guy with a pretty big, mostly greyish beard dressed in tails with a boater on his head and weilding an old King 'bone?

I have no idea whether I ended up on the cutting room floor or not, but if you did see him, it was me :)

The gig came about when a buddy of mine forwarded a request from his agent for musicians to audition as extras for "an upcoming, big budget movie" - I figured "why not, I've never done anything like this before", went to the casting call and ended up getting the gig.  It was certainly a different experience...  The semi-controlled chaos of a big set like that was quite enlightening.

It was also a bit like history repeating itself: In 1944 the film "The Rats Of Tobruk" was made - it featured scenes filmed on Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia and my father was an extra in it (he was serving at the time and it seems the army "volunteered" a bunch of troops to help), so maybe we both made it into film :)  He never managed to see himself in the movie, he was just another head with a "tin hat" on it, I'm hoping I'm a bit more visible - guess I'll find out on the 30th ;-)
Title: Re: Decidedly off topic: The Great Gatsby
Post by: Haymo on 2013-05-14 09:12 am
Congratulations Lawrie,
whether you be visible or not!
Thanks too, for the bit of history - very special to your family.

I have no idea when we in South Africa will have our chance.

Haymo.
Post by: Warren Porter on 2013-05-25 01:20 am
I just saw it a few minutes ago and stayed for all the credits.   A lot of the music was done by the Bryan Ferry Band, is this the group you played in?

I tried to find you and saw as many as three 'bones in the scene at one time, but I can't honestly say I recognized you.  A band (BF?) was playing for Jay Gatsby's parties but after showing the whole thing for not more than a second (prob less), they zoomed in to the main characters.  When they were showing the whole scene, the trombones were a little left of center.

The credits mentioned Australia a number of times and also New South Wales.

Definitely something to tell the grandkids about!
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-25 01:56 am
I just saw it a few minutes ago and stayed for all the credits.   A lot of the music was done by the Bryan Ferry Band, is this the group you played in?

I tried to find you and saw as many as three 'bones in the scene at one time, but I can't honestly say I recognized you.  A band (BF?) was playing for Jay Gatsby's parties but after showing the whole thing for not more than a second (prob less), they zoomed in to the main characters.  When they were showing the whole scene, the trombones were a little left of center.

The credits mentioned Australia a number of times and also New South Wales.

Definitely something to tell the grandkids about!
Hey Warren, thanks for keeping an eye out.

It's funny 'bout the 3 'bones - I was the ONLY bone in the part I was in - and we didn't actually play, it was all miming to whatever we had in our heads - the dancing was to some techno stuff to give them rhythm - I believe the score hadn't been written when I did my bit...

The part I was in was the first party at Gatsby's home - I also did a bit of blue screen and running around as a guest at the second party...  can't wait till this Thursday and I can see it myself - I really hope I made it into the final cut.
Post by: Warren Porter on 2013-05-29 09:57 pm
It's funny 'bout the 3 'bones - I was the ONLY bone in the part I was in - and we didn't actually play, it was all miming to whatever we had in our heads - the dancing was to some techno stuff to give them rhythm - I believe the score hadn't been written when I did my bit...

The part I was in was the first party at Gatsby's home - I also did a bit of blue screen and running around as a guest at the second party...  can't wait till this Thursday and I can see it myself - I really hope I made it into the final cut.
Saw it again: You could be seen!  My wife very much enjoyed it with me--she was out of town the first time I saw it.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-29 11:33 pm
Saw it again: You could be seen!  My wife very much enjoyed it with me--she was out of town the first time I saw it.
Hey Warren, thanks mate - that's way cool and I'll get to see it in just a couple of hours!!!!
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-30 06:20 am
Well, just back from the theatre - thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I was a little disappointed on my appearance - unless you knew where to look you would have missed me - blurry figure off to the right with a trombone - on for about an 1/8th of a second...

At first I thought the first 'bone player at the first party might have been me, but I didn't have a red hat and I didn't see a beard on that chap - oh well...  my 15 minutes seems to be about 1/8th of a second instead - didn't even make the credits, though none of the extras did so I guess I can't kick.

Still, it was an interesting experience being involved.  Who knows - maybe I'll have another go some day.
Post by: Warren Porter on 2013-05-30 10:57 am
At first I thought the first 'bone player at the first party might have been me, but I didn't have a red hat and I didn't see a beard on that chap - oh well...  my 15 minutes seems to be about 1/8th of a second instead - didn't even make the credits, though none of the extras did so I guess I can't kick.
That was the one I saw.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2013-05-30 10:10 pm
Thought it might have been which is why I decided to mention it.

We're going to buy the Blu-Ray when it becomes available and then I'm going to pore over sections frame by frame...  I did some blue screen work and was a guest at the second party so I want to see if I somehow appeared in the faceless sea of people...  ;)