Skip to main content
Topic: Accessing the User Tools on a new laptop with Windows 7 (Read 10639 times) previous topic - next topic

Accessing the User Tools on a new laptop with Windows 7

I just upgraded to a new laptop with Windows 7.  The main NWC program works great, but I cannot access the user tools (and I can't live without them).  I did install the user tools, but the <alt> + F8 doesn't bring them up.  I know with my new machine you need to press the function key to activate the F8's & F1's and such, but <alt> + <function> + F8 doesn't work; and <function> + <alt> + F8 doesn't work; and the other various combinations I've tried do not work.

Please help!

Re: Accessing the User Tools on a new laptop with Windows 7

Reply #1
Hi,

I had much the same problem when I started using the machine that I'm on at the moment.
The solution is to go into the BIOS. In there, somewhere, you will find an option to let the function keys work without first pressing the FN key.

I can't be more specific since the BIOS options will be different for different machines but it should be quite obvious.

Make sure that you do not change anything else though.

Once you have done this, it does mean that any other items that are on the FN keys will now need the Function key pressed before they will work. ( for example in my case, volume controls ) but in my opinion, this is far better.
Rich.

Reply #2
You can also use:
  • ALT+T, U  Tools->User Tool...
  • ALT+T, E  Tools->Repeat:
I find these easier than the Keyboard Guide shortcuts.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks to both of you.  I feel silly that I didn't look in the menu & will do that for now, but plan to change the BIOS eventually, as I do not like the way my machine is set up.