Skip to main content
Topic: disappearing staff (Read 9552 times) previous topic - next topic

disappearing staff

while working on a (registered) 3 staff piece it often happens that one of the stave becomes partly invisible, it just stops at a certain point. It does not affect anything else, as print preview shows the real state of things, and if I scroll forward the part that was previously invisibe becomes visible again, but then it will happen again shortly afterwards and at times at another staff.

This never happened to me before in all the previous demo versions.
Anyone can help please?

Re: disappearing staff

Reply #1
Can you add an attachment so we can look at it?
Since 1998

Reply #2
I reported a similar issue to Eric a couple of weeks ago. His analysis suggests that it is probably caused by changes in the rendering engine related to the display of MMRs, although it doesn't require the presence of an MMR to set it off: in my score, the triggering event seemed to be writing a few very long measures (written-out trills for hidden aural staves) and then deleting them. We will probably see it addressed in the next update. In the meantime, we can live with the very few times when it occurs.

Reply #3
I agree, it's not a major discomfort, what worries me is the reliability of the program: one never knows if a similar unstability could affect the body of work itself in another context, not just the display. In other words what if it will get greedy and swallow more? :-)  May be I am overreacting, but from what we are witnessing now the possibility is just around the corner. So far I got no response from Eric or others at NWC. I hear now from you that they are aware of the problem, so I am confident they'll give it serious consideration and fix it soon.

Reply #4
The attachment is a fairly straightforward example of the bug.
Zoom level affects this greatly. Lower zoom levels are less likely to show a problem.

Print preview seems to be OK. Edit and View mode are not.
Playing the file in the Viewer shows a similar problem.

IMO, few users will ever see this. Subject to seeing simpler examples, I don't see the need for an immediate fix.

I see no evidence that this is caused by deleting objects.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Now that we're talking about it: I saw it, but I was in a hurry and left the investigations for later.
Then I forgot...

Reply #6
Same here.  Happened to me just once.  I got around the problem by creating a new file and copying the staves to the new file one by one.

I never reported it here as I thought I had done something silly myself rather than it being a bug or something.  Once I "solved" my problem, I did not bother to investigate further as solving the problem actually reinforced the notion that it was my mistake in the first place.

Reply #7
I see no evidence that this is caused by deleting objects.

Well....the bug was probably activated by writing the long measures in the first place. But it didn't go away when I deleted them.

Reply #8
IMO, few users will ever see this.

Few people will ever hear a small musical mistake in concert.
But one thing is if it happens by accident or if it's left there after one is aware of it. And since it may take it hours to get it right at home while at and the same there is little chance that anyone will notice the difference, why bother? (rethorical question)
Of course there is the "down to earth approach", value for money, forget the oranges at the tree top etc.
But I hope Eric will adopt the musical approach for his musical program. Makes sense doesn'it? Of course there is no urgence, I agree. I only hope that "no need for immediate fix" won't be interpreted too freely.  

Reply #9
This will definitely be improved in the next update, but Rick's example shows that there is still some work to do.

Reply #10
Good. Thanks Eric

Reply #11
This should be fixed in NWC 2.51. A first beta is available Back Stage.

Reply #12
Using Rick's example with 2.51 beta, the issue looks like it is resolved.
Rich.