Skip to main content
Topic: Multi-measure rest - playback options (Read 3895 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-measure rest - playback options

The multi-measure rest is a very handy feature, a specially in combination with the collapsing staff option in the boundary change command.

But what I miss is an option where one could specify that a MMR should be handled as a single measure when played back (and in the viewer), in the case where all the played staves contain MMR's.

This would be very useful for the rehearsal files I create for my choir. I make several files, one for each voice (TTBB) and 1 for ALL voices.

Now one has either to wait in silence till the MMR is fully played, or stop, click behind the MMR and then restart.

Moreover, since some of the choir members use an Apple, I also create midi-files. In that case there's only silence during the MMR. So this option should also be used for exporting to midi-files.

I don't think I am the only one that should find this option usefull.
Or am I?
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Multi-measure rest - playback options

Reply #1
You might want to make a copy of that file and undo the MMR's and collapse commands, see a related thread.  When preparing a training file (nwc/mid), delete all but 1 or 2 measures of a specific part for EVERYBODY when the part you are working on has a long rest.  E.g., if Tenor II is out between measures 30 and 50, remove 30-48 for all parts when creating a training file for that part (dynamics and/or stereo pan).  That will give them time to turn the page(s) and hear cues from other parts.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
I do something similar with long rests for rehearsal files: I fill them with hidden bars and 64th rests so that the measure numbers stay right. Thank you, nwc, for allowing incomplete measures. BTW, I know you can exclude bars from the bar count, but you still cannot reset or jump measure numbers in the middle of the piece, right?

Reply #3
Why not just stick in some temporary tempo changes either side of the MMR?

750 bpm seems to be the current max.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Thanks for your responses !
I'll follow Lawrie's advise
Always look on the bright side of life!