Skip to main content
Topic: Staff labels struggle (is over) (Read 9897 times) previous topic - next topic

Staff labels struggle (is over)

Hi all,
I needed to have a two-line staff label. Maybe it has been done before, but this is how I did it.
On screen it is terrible, but preview and print are fine by me.
cheers, Rob.

Re: Staff labels struggle (is over)

Reply #1
That's a good tip Rob!

I tried your example and it works just fine like you said.  I went further and added "B&C" in the "abbreviated" box (staff properties) and after adding a few more bars of music, the "B&C" appear as they should in the preview mode.

In effect, your solution works perfectly and seamlessly.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply #2
This also works. (using NWC 2.5.4)
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks Rick. I did not use the boundary options until recently, and this example was quite helpful.

Reply #5
Rob,

Rick's example here might also help to solve your "gap" problem in the Kyrie score you are working on....

Jim
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #6
I did look at it, but if I change the top staff to have an orchestral bracket, for instance, the bracket appears left and right of the gap. So I still do not see how to have braces and brackets as shown in the attachment.

Reply #7
It's kind of a kludge, and I've never used it, but I've seen many references to "digital white-out" through out this forum. I assume it is done by placing a text "block" character, color white, on top of the area you want to block out. So I bet you could have brackets on both staves, then place white block characters (Xbbbbbbbbb, where X is a block char and b is a space, right justified) on top of the first set of brackets.

Reply #8
Oh, well.  I thought it would be worth a try.  I would probably live with the two brackets.  I doubt the high-priced packages can even get that close.

My day job is as a system analyst and I do programming, database design and data analysis all day.  The music is my play time so I depend on the techies here to do the problem solving and tool development.  Don't want to learn another scripting language (php).  Copy/paste and maybe search/replace with nwctxt is about as deep as I want to go with it.  If they had chosen perl for scripting, I might've tried my hand at it........

Luck with your endeavors.

Jim

Jim in Cleveland

Reply #9

I use The Semware Editor. This is the Hyper-De-Luxe, way-evolved variant of QEdit (which was a bit like the built-in editors of Turbo Pascal and dBASE III)
The Semware Editor, or TSE, allows me to write little programs to make quantities of changes in one file - or in a hundred at the time, when I like. It also allows for regular expressions, which is a real treat. I can find all sopranos by looking for {Sopran}|{Soprano}|{Sopraan}, et cetera, without having to code a single line. Wonderful!

Reply #10
My day job is as a system analyst and I do programming, database design and data analysis all day.  The music is my play time so I depend on the techies here to do the problem solving and tool development.  Don't want to learn another scripting language (php).  Copy/paste and maybe search/replace with nwctxt is about as deep as I want to go with it.  If they had chosen perl for scripting, I might've tried my hand at it........

HTML and JavaScript are the only things I work with now, look for This Model near the bottom of my nwc.htm page for a headstart on NWC do-it-yourself tools in a webpage.

P.S. Just saw that Rob posted about his use of the Semware Editor.  That's another good tool to use.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #11
Don't want to learn another scripting language (php).
User Tools are not tied to php. The 'User Tool Description' popup makes php setup a bit easier since NWC thinks it knows where php is installed. Libraries are provided for php. If you have no need for the libraries, php offers no special advantage over anything capable of reading STDIN and writing STDOUT.

Reply #12
I still do not see how to have braces and brackets as shown in the attachment.
Not easily. It took a while to find a suitable brace. I'll leave the task of finding a suitable font for the rests to you.

Reply #13
Excellent solution Rick.
Another bit of "outside of the box" thinking.

I like the fact that if there is no space to print what would be the initial orchestral brace, then it is not printed.
If the spacer is 0.00 or 0.01 it is not printed. Anything above, the brace is printed. Very effective.
Rich.

Reply #14
Anything above, the brace is printed.
That may be true with your* screen and/or printer driver, but that is not why the initial spacers are there. Some text on each staff will work as well. If a boundary gap is first on any visible staff, NWC throws a major "hissy fit."

* on my machine, values of 0.02 to 0.04 will cause the bracket to vanish in the Viewer but not in Print Preview. It seems to vary with the dpi setting. Go figure :)

Reply #15
Cripes on toast!

Reply #16
It's kind of a kludge, and I've never used it, but I've seen many references to "digital white-out" through out this forum. I assume it is done by placing a text "block" character, color white, on top of the area you want to block out. So I bet you could have brackets on both staves, then place white block characters (Xbbbbbbbbb, where X is a block char and b is a space, right justified) on top of the first set of brackets.

Ah, very well then. I never used "digital whiteout" but today it came in very handy. Thanks for reminding me. I am still not Virtuoso, but I am getting someplace!