Skip to main content
Topic: Beam 6 or 7 notes into 1 beat... (Read 4387 times) previous topic - next topic

Beam 6 or 7 notes into 1 beat...

I need to know if there is a way to beam 6 or 7 notes as a triplet would be beamed, with the beamed number of notes below just like a triplet and have the notes play within 1 beat like a triplet. 

Re: Beam 6 or 7 notes into 1 beat...

Reply #1
The short answer is "no." There are some ways to make it happen, but they all involve fiddling with some notation and hiding other notation. See, e.g., Warren Porter's discussion of it here. Or search the forum for the term "tuplets."

Reply #2
For an example of 7 to a beat, take a look at historie.html in the 81st measure.  There is a temporary change of tempo for that beat and other staves will have extra notes or rests to fill out that beat.  William has already pointed you in the right direction (Thanks!), but also look at the links near the bottom, especially n-tuplets vs m-tuplets.

While you can beam six notes, it might be possible to just flag those notes as triplets and not have to mess with a workaround which would involve all staves.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #3
Right, but that doesn't work for 7 notes.  Thanks all for your help!  Seems to be something that would be great for the next NWC version!!

Reply #4
Right, but that doesn't work for 7 notes.

I don't understand why you say that this doesn't work for 7 notes.  It is for 7 notes.  There are 7 sixteenths in the space of one beat, the space where 4 sixteenths would, without tuplets, exist.
Rich.

Reply #5
Right, but that doesn't work for 7 notes.
Like Richard said, it is for 7 notes, I was just saying if you only had six notes you would not need the workaround if triplets would be OK.  Take a look at that historie example again and unhide the "hidden" group to see how it works.  This file was created as a tutorial on pentuplets: t7665w01.nwc for use in my Pentuplets.htm page, but it can handle groupings other than five.
Since 1998