Skip to main content
Topic: Viewing upper octave? (Read 10832 times) previous topic - next topic

Viewing upper octave?

I'm writing out a flute part and starting at the F above the staff, I can't see the notes (or the accompanying ties, slurs and other style markings).  Any ideas on how to change the view so that I can see all of that?  Right now, the only way I can see it is to jump to print preview.

Re: Viewing upper octave?

Reply #1
Perhaps write the part an octave down with a text marking 8va and a hidden treble clef transposing the staff up an octave (with a small 8 above the clef).  When the transposed section ends, insert another hidden treble clef to return to written pitch (no 8 above or below the clef) and a text marking loco to indicate to play at written pitch.

Reply #2

Or perhaps more simply merely increase the visual space above the staff - select the staff, then F2, the Visual tab, and then increase the number in the Upper Vertical Size box.

MusicJohn, 2/Sep/11

Reply #3
Thank you both for your help. 

MusicJohn, I had no idea that option was there...that was the perfect solution!!

Reply #4

A pleasure to be of assistance.

However good Eric's Help Files are - and with all respect to Eric, they're not that good! - they can never answer all questions.  I find it pays systematically to go through every section of every pull-down menu, and every tab of every sub-window, and play with everything to find out what it does.  With luck I remember - at least, that something exists - and can make use of the info when I'm in trouble or need to know how to do something.

Failing that, there is, as you see, always the Forum.  [:-)]

MusicJohn, 2/Aug/11

Reply #5
MusicJohn, 2/Aug/11

August? ;-)

Reply #6
Perhaps write the part an octave down with a text marking 8va
Flute players won't like it. They associate the look of a note with finger positions and the finger positions change for octave transpositions.

merely increase the visual space above the staff
This works, but often you will not want the staff to consume so much space in the printout.

An alternative is to change the Extra Margin Spacing "Above" in your Editor Options.
Extra Margin Spacing "Above"
This sets the amount of empty top margin space used in the editor. Larger values make it easier to see elements in a staff that are located farther above the top staff in the system. Smaller values reduce the amount of empty space shown at the top of the score while working the editor.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
An alternative is to change the Extra Margin Spacing "Above" in your Editor Options.

Or for those of us who never remember the built in technical features, fake it by adding an empty staff at the top of the score, to be removed after the notation job is complete.

(On another note - thanks, Rick, I've just learned something about flute fingerings.)

Reply #8
Perhaps write the part an octave down with a text marking 8va and a hidden treble clef transposing the staff up an octave (with a small 8 above the clef).  When the transposed section ends, insert another hidden treble clef to return to written pitch (no 8 above or below the clef) and a text marking loco to indicate to play at written pitch.
If you go this route you will be hiding all clefs to the end of the piece.  Insert a real visible clef after the 8va is over where it would normally be at the beginning of the next system after loco to get around that.
Since 1998

Reply #9
This method has no clef implications:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Text|Text:"  8va¬"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Instrument|Name:"[+12]"|Trans:12|Pos:10
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Instrument|Name:"[+0]"|Trans:0|Pos:10
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
Just go to page setup (change) enter a larger number say 27 and the staff will be loward    Rik

Reply #12
I can understand flute players not wanting to read a transposed passage.  Reading at actual pitch adds a layer of concentration for guitar music that I would just as soon do without myself.  How does selecting a clef and choosing Visibility-Never make all other clefs hidden for the rest of the piece, Warren?  I have used that technique (of setting Visibility-Never for individual objects) in many of my NWC scores without it making all following similar objects hidden.

Reply #13
Outside of marching band music where real estate on the music is at a premium, the clef and key signature is normally expected at the beginning of every new system.  For instruments where an octave shift is assumed, you can set up a shift of twelve half-steps so that staff will sound an octave higher or lower without the 8 ever needing to appear on the clef.
Since 1998

Reply #14
The problem with using invisible clef signs, is that there are no clef signs until made visible again. I think a better solution is to enter 8va and loco as text, and use  instrument properties to shift transposition by 12 for the passage.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995