Skip to main content
Topic: Orchestra Node (Read 5058 times) previous topic - next topic

Orchestra Node

Hi.
I want to copy and paste whole section orchestra of node to another page. How can I do this ?
Also, I want to move a note to higher staff by using mouse as I did another music software. How can I do that too in NWC ?
I read a manual but I couldn't find it.
Please advice me.

Re: Orchestra Node

Reply #1
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I want to move a note to higher staff by using mouse as I did another music software.
NoteWorthy Composer (NWC) does not not support dragging and dropping objects. This is by design.

To copy objects to another staff with the mouse:
  • select the objects
  • right click and select Copy from the Context Menu
  • click on the destination
  • right click and select Paste

Most experienced users find it faster to use the keyboard.
I don't understand "node" in your context. Please clarify ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
A second welcome. I was also having trouble understanding what you were trying to do, so I didn't offer advice before this. Let me make some assumptions. If they are incorrect, then my advice may be faulty.

I will assume you are a new user. I will assume you are running the Evaluation Version. And I will assume you are trying to edit a file written by a registered user (perhaps from the Scriptorium).

I am not that familiar with the Evaluation Version, but I believe it will not edit files created by registered users. The restrictions are here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/evaluate.htm .

I believe it will play such files, and allow you to poke around in them to see how they were made. Perhaps someone else can describe the restrictions more fully. Can the Evaluation Version edit such files at all, perhaps without allowing saving? Can it un-hide hidden staves, or turn layering off on those files?

You mention pasting "to another page." You should realize that pages are not determined until printing. While editing, each staff is essentially on a single line. When printing or previewing, the staff or staves is/are broken into pages.

If my assumptions are incorrect, please clarify what you are using and trying to do. Again, Welcome!

Reply #3
As the other posters have said, first select the note, notes, or phrase to be moved or copied.  To move it do Cntl/X after the selection, for copy it's Cntl/C.  Click on where you want it (page up or page down if it's at the same place) and Cntl/V to paste it in which could be at a point later in the staff to repeat the same notes.

Are you trying to Print Parts?
Since 1998

Reply #4
thanks to all for good advice.
I could copy/paste whole section but I couldn't change it to all higher or lower notes by reposition of the cursor to lower/higher staff to rearrange it.
I think I'm asking too much :-).

Reply #5
You are correct, Nuvira, you cannot use the mouse to drag the notes up or down to transpose them.

There are a number of ways to transpose notes, though.  If you want to do a whole staff, use Tools/Transpose Staff.   If you want to just move individual notes or groups of notes up or down within the same staff, highlight them and then press the up or down arrow key while pressing "control."   All the notes you select will move "in synch," but you must select adjacent notes.  You can select the notes with the mouse if you wish, but you can't do the move with it, nor can you do a drag and drop.

Reply #6
[4[size=3
60pt]color=blue]If you want to transpose a group of notes, copy them to a new staff; use the transpose tool, and copy them back, replacing the old notes. [/color]

Don't forget to add the proper clef sign and key signature.[/size]
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #7
Be aware, though, of the difference between shifting notes up or down and transposing notes up or down. If you use the <ctrl><shift><arrow keys> method, the notes just move - the accidentals don't adjust - so half steps may become whole steps and vice versa. The pattern of the notes is maintained, but the exact pitch relationship of one note to the next may change. If you need to maintain the pitch relationship exactly the same, you will need to use <tools><transpose staff> (which, as Carl suggests, can be done on a partial staff by copying the notes you want to move to a new staff, transposing the new staff, then pasting the transposed passage back over the original notes).