Skip to main content
Topic: Deleting bars from a song (Read 5182 times) previous topic - next topic

Deleting bars from a song

I have a song which I want to separate in a number of parts.
So I copied the song 5 times and named them part1, part2 etc.
So from part 1 I want to remove the first x instrumental bars, then
keep the bars with lyrics till a certain point and then delete the
remainig bars.

With part 2 I want to keep an other lyrics part and delete what is
not needed.

Also with parts3, 4 and 5 I would like to do the same.

I cannot find in the help file how to do this.

I appreciate any help on this matter.

W. Eeken

Re: Deleting bars from a song

Reply #1
The delete key will delete the selection.
Selections can be made with the mouse, keyboard or the Goto Command.

Note: NoteWorthy limits a selection to a contiguous area of a single staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
If you are removing the same measures from every part, you might want to select those measures, press Cntl/E, select Visibility, and change the color from default to something else.  Do the same for any other deletions which are not contiguous.  Then you can go back and delete the colored measures.  If you are interrupted while deleting stuff you will know at once what you have done so far and what needs to be done.

HTH.  Welcome to NWC!
Since 1998

Reply #3
What I do is add temporary repeat bars on all of the staves where I want to remove material and then begin deleting from the bottom most staff, upward the material between the repeat signs. If you start at the top, the measure numbers will change and it can become confusing when you are trying to delete say bars 34 - 42 of a piece. As long as you go bottom to top, it is easy to see where you are. When you are done, delete the repeat signs. Changing the color sounds like a good idea that will be worth a try as well.

Reply #4
Thanks for the reactions. I now discovered what the problem was
I was facing.
The song I am working with has lyrics and I expected that when deleting
a certain number of bars that the lyrics in thos bars were deleted as well.
I think that's logical. However it is not true. One has to delete in 2 steps.
First the lyrics and then The actual number of bars.

W. Eeken

Reply #5
Select what you want to delete in the staff. Don't delete it yet. Press CTRL+L
The corresponding part of the lyric will be selected for easy deletion.

Reply #6
Select what you want to delete in the staff. Don't delete it yet. Press CTRL+L
The corresponding part of the lyric will be selected for easy deletion.

Yup, I wasn't aware of that!
Thank you Rick.

Reply #7
I expected that when deleting a certain number of bars that the lyrics in thos bars were deleted as well.
I won't argue logic, but if I need to delete a chord to replace it with another, I don't want NWC "helping me out" by deleting the lyric and making me re-enter it as well.

Reply #8
I won't argue logic, but if I need to delete a chord to replace it with another, I don't want NWC "helping me out" by deleting the lyric and making me re-enter it as well.

I CONCUR !!!!!!!
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
It didn't when I tried it.  After building a simple scale with lyrics "do ra mi  .. etc", I took out a note and everything got shifted down one.  On putting the note back Viola! Everything was back to normal.
Since 1998

Reply #10
It didn't when I tried it.  After building a simple scale with lyrics "do ra mi  .. etc", I took out a note and everything got shifted down one.  On putting the note back Viola! Everything was back to normal.
That's standard NWC behavior, and it's correct. Rick was referring to the original poster's observation that he thought deleting a bar of music should automatically delete the lyrics associated with it. Rick pointed out the problems associated with that approach, which we should all hope never gets instituted.

Reply #11
... he thought deleting a bar of music should automatically delete the lyrics associated with it. Rick pointed out the problems associated with that approach, which we should all hope never gets instituted.
True. Should'a read it closer.
Since 1998