Skip to main content
Topic: Unable to play some files in evaluation edition (Read 10870 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to play some files in evaluation edition

Hi

Having been somewhat busy with other things :) and not checking the forum for a long time, I hadn't actually realised that v2.1 was available (now downloaded and installed!). Over the weekend I was at a folk-singing workshop, and a friend (who had v 2.1) had brought along some Christmas carol files to show one of the course leaders what NWC could do, so downloaded the evaluation copy on Saturday. To cut a long story short, some of the files created in v2.1 would not load (a message about "not created in this version or corrupted files" appeared), some of the files would load, some of the files created in v2.0 would load and some wouldn't! All the files appeared to load ok on my PC. We were stuck! and unable to demonstrate NWC - any ideas? The PC was running XP, not sure what processor.

TIA for any answers

Paul

Re: Unable to play some files in evaluation edition

Reply #1
I wonder if it's something to do with this, from http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/evaluate.htm ?

This special evaluation version of the program allows you
to try almost all of the features of the program, including printing and saving
your own files. However, it does impose various limits on the number of times
you can save your own work and restricts your access to edit files created
by licensed users. In addition, any files that you create in this evaluation
version are not portable to other computers
, other digital media, or other
versions of NoteWorthy Composer. Simply put, your use of this software is
restricted to evaluating it on the computer in which it is installed.

Reply #2
Hello David

Could be - except it was files from a licensed version we were trying to load, some would, some wouldn't, and we weren't trying to edit them, just play them

Paul

Reply #3
The evaluation edition has limitations with regard to shared files.

Reply #4
I can understand there being limitations on the evaluation version and fully agree with that, what I can't work out is why it would load some songs but not others, especially as we were not trying to edit them (that may have come later if the full version had been bought). I have to say we failed to convince the prospective purchaser.

Paul

Reply #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #6
Not even the supplied moonlite sample-file(!!!) will play back in the evaluation copy.
It's not a major problem for me <grin>, only for those new to the program and want to try it out.

Reply #7
Confirmed. Thanks for the specific example.

Reply #8
Not even the supplied moonlite sample-file(!!!) will play back in the evaluation copy.

The evaluation edition has been updated to deal with this.

Reply #9
This problem still seems to exist. The evaluation version does load the sample files ok but will not load any file I create with my licensed version of Noteworthy. Is this what is intended (older versions of the evaluation program, as I recall, would allow you to to load and edit but not save files saved by a licensed version).

Reply #10
The purpose of the evaluation version is to allow a prospective buyer to check out the program.  To allow others to play what a registered user creates, they need to install the NWC2 Viewer.
Since 1998

Reply #11
Thank you. I think this could be clearer in the description of the restrictions for the evaluation version and also in the error message when there is an attempt to load such a file. The comment about the file being corrupted is what alarmed the person who asked me about this (a fellow choir member I recommended NWC to).

Reply #12
I agree. "Corrupted" is not a term I would use so casually.

The demo seems rather useless for Scriptorium files. A shame since it would be one way to see the fonts used by the song.

If you want your friend to be be able to open and edit your files, send them as *.nwctxt. The demo will allow these to be opened and edited. User tools will work on them. The demo will only allow them to be saved as *.nwc, and will brand them as unregistered.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #13
Thank you - that is very useful information. As it turns out my friend purchased Noteworthy (after having a look at Melody Player and Melody Assistant) and is a happy camper. I'll use the .nwctxt format if another choir member takes an interest.

Reply #14
Just for the record, the attachment is what I got after installing the demo from NoteWorthy Composer - Download Evaluation and attempting to open a file from the Scriptorium.
Registered user since 1996