Skip to main content
Topic: Multi Measure Rest Suggestion (Read 2243 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi Measure Rest Suggestion

One of the problems I've had when using several of the multi-measure rest suggestions is the loss of accurate measure numbering. If your intention is for printing a single part (not the whole score) this worked for me and looks like a real multi-measure rest.

You will need:
- Boxmarks font available from the note worthy website
- A little working knowledge of how to edit staff properties

This is what I do to make a part I want to print look good with multi-measure rests and keep accurate measure numbering:
1. Drag you mouse with the left mouse button pushed from the beginning to the end of the measures you want to be a multi-measure rest.
2. Push the keys Alt + Enter
3. Click on the visibility tab
4. Where it says "Show on printed page:" click on the drop down menu and click on "Never"
5. Click "OK"
6. Enter the "Page Setup" dialog by going to "File" then "Page Setup"
7. Click on the "Fonts" tab
8. Go to one of the "User" fonts and click the "Modify" button
9. Select the "Boxmarks" font and set the font size to whatever the staff size is
10. Click the "OK" buttons until you are back to he normal Note Worthy interface
11. Push the "X" button on your keybord
12. Push the "[" key, enter the number of measures included in the multi-measure rest, then the "]" key
13. In the same dialog box, click on the "Expression Placement" tab
14. Click the check box in front of the "Preserve Width"
15. Click "OK"
From here, just play around with what measure this text expression appears to be centered in the print preview.

This method has worked for me but requires some comfortability with note worthy composer and playing around with settings to make it look good.

Good luck and happy printing.

-Chuck

Re: Multi Measure Rest Suggestion

Reply #1
Hi Chuck

What you suggest will work, but if I recall correctly, the Boxmarks font puts the number in the same vertical position as the extended lines.  Use SwingDings instead, available from the Scriptorium  http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html.  

You might prefer to save yourself a little time, too, if you use my Multibarrests.nwc file from the Helpful Files section of the Scriptorium.  Just copy the particular MBRs you need over the rests in your own song. You will need SwingDings set up as Userfont3.  

Having said that, a much better way is to use the UserTool.  I suggest editing it to use SwingDings, but otherwise, it does everything you want.

Both methods result in accurate bar counts.

Re: Multi Measure Rest Suggestion

Reply #2
You might want to check out this user tip on multi measure rests.
Since 1998