Skip to main content
Topic: Windows 7  (Read 9523 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my computer.  Many new ones come with Windows 7.  Does W7 run NWC2 ok now, or are there still growing pains?

Re: Windows 7

Reply #1
I'm running 64 bit windows 7 with no problems using any NoteWorthy program.
Rich.

Reply #2
How's the sound Rich? I'm talking about the everyday soundcard output that anyone would get, nothing fancy.

Reply #3
Well I wouldn't say it was perfect but it's OK for entering and working things out. But the bonus is that VSTHost/Synthfont works properly on this machine and so I can also use many soundfonts through software synths.  It is unfortunate that Soundblaster no longer make soundcards for portables that are capable of using soundfonts.  They used to have a PCMCIA soundfont capable soundcard, but the USB versions do not support soundfonts.

I tried getting the VSTHost/Synthfont setup running on my last portable, (Vista) but it was aways giving problems and in the end, I gave up. With this setup, I have had no problems apart from one hiccough in setting it up (and even that was easy to sort out because of Lawrie's document).

So I am happy with the sound simply because I can now use soundfonts when I need to / want to.

Rich.

Reply #4
thanks!

Reply #5
Yes, thank you Rich. I have a sb soundfont capable soundcard using vista, but have not been satisfied with the results. Using the sf Lawrie sugested; Airfont 340. I guess it is a function of vista to ruin anything having to do with sound!

Reply #6
G'day Duncan,
there are lots of other soundfonts out there - perhaps it's just the airfont that you don't like?  This is assuming that the SB card loaded the font properly that is..
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
In moving from XP to 7, I can't run MF2T (and back) anymore but that's the only drawback.
Since 1998

Reply #8
In moving from XP to 7, I can't run MF2T (and back) anymore but that's the only drawback.

Windows 7 x64 (64-bit OS) will not run 16-bit programs directly, but you can generally accomplish this with either XP mode or other virtualization tools, when necessary.

Win 7 x86 (the 32-bit one) can generally run 16-bit programs.

Reply #9
Windows 7 x64 (64-bit OS) will not run 16-bit programs directly, but you can generally accomplish this with either XP mode or other virtualization tools, when necessary.
I tried running it through the compatibility feature on the Control Panel but never saw that the program ran.  It still failed while in command line mode, necessary to read the name of the file it has to convert and redirecting its output to a text file.

Thanks for looking at it, though.
Since 1998

Reply #11
I tried running it through the compatibility feature on the Control Panel but never saw that the program ran.  It still failed while in command line mode, necessary to read the name of the file it has to convert and redirecting its output to a text file.

If you have Win7 you can download a specific XP SP3 Virtual Machine:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
This uses Windows Virtual PC to host a specifically designed virtual XP machine.  It cannot access much in the line of system hardware directly, but it will run files etc. tolerably well. 

MF2T should be fine (I haven't tested it - my Win7 box is currently not finished...)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #12
If you are using a DOS version of MF2T, you could also use a much smaller DOS VM, which would probably fire up near instantaneously.

Reply #13
I think the versions at the bottom of the MIDI-OX page are 32bit.
Thank you.  It runs w/o any problem.

Thanks for the advice about other options, it could come in handy for other programs w/o a more modern version.
Since 1998

Reply #14
Thank you.  It runs w/o any problem.
You're welcome.
Which version worked? mf2tXP.zip or Midi2Mtx-Installer.zip/Mtx2Midi-Installer.zip ?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #15
Midi2Mtx-Installer.zip
Since 1998

Reply #16
I have Win 7 Professional 64 bit edition and have no problems running NWC2.1
Only problem I had was the lazy midwavetable which is included in Win 7.  But I fixed it by installing another software wavetable.