Skip to main content
Topic: Chord Symbols (Read 11798 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord Symbols

I wish to annotate chords using 'insert|text' I dont know how to print the conventional 'flats', 'sharps' symbols using NWC.  Is this something that a user tool script can accomplish?

Re: Chord Symbols

Reply #1
G'day Adrian,
there are several ways, but I think the easiest is to use a dedicated font for the job., so I designed some...

I'm sure you're aware of the "User Font" facility available in NWC through the Page Setup Dialogue:
|File|Page Setup...|Fonts (tab)|User 1 (to 6)

If you have NWC2 on CD, then you have an install option for my font suites.  Otherwise, they are available from the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
Or from NWC:
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/uc/pardypack/
Installation instruction etc. are on the web page as well as in a PDF within the ZIP files.

For text Chord construction, use the *Chord font.  E.G. if you use the SwingDings suite then the chord font is SwingChord,  If you prefer a serif font the the suite is called MusikDingsSerif and the Chord font is MusikChordSerif.

They are designed to be as flexible as I could make them, I hope you find them useful.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Is this something that a user tool script can accomplish?
User Tools simply automate things that can be done manually. IOW, there is nothing that can be done with a User Tool that cannot be done without a User Tool.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanx Lawrie.  Your fonts are now on my system.  What I want to do now is to add octave lines above or below the staff.  Will your fonts do this?

Reply #4
G'day Adrian,
yes, used as text, there are useful characters for indicating octave shifts in each suites namesake font.  E.G. using SwingDings:

chr$(118) = v = v
chr$(242) = ò = ò
chr$(119) = w = w

This font should normally be used at the same point size as the "Staff Metrics"
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.