Skip to main content
Topic: Hyphen in Lyric (Read 5054 times) previous topic - next topic

Hyphen in Lyric

Hi. I'm making a drum template with some kits(Standard, Room, etc.) and inserting lyric for each drum names.
I have to hyphen some drum, but it comes with two notes.
For example: "Hi-Hat Close, Hi-Hat Pedal, etc"

So, How can I insert hyphened lyric in one note?

p.s. I also tried using Unicode and ANSI codes, but it always says "?" question mark.
NWC User since 2008

Re: Hyphen in Lyric

Reply #1
Soft Hyphen: Alt+0173
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Try the attachment. If it doesn't work it may be a codepage issue.

Reply #4
It doesn't work, as I expected.
It doesn't appear as a question mark at all, just a cracked character.

I see like the attachment.

[attachment deleted by user]
NWC User since 2008

Reply #5
My guess is that it is a code page issue. I'm a poor one to help with that as I've never used a computer with international language support enabled. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reply #6
Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but when I sing anything choral, I highlight in yellow the words and my part. I don't know if that helps any. (Unfortunately, I've never had the nerve to audition for a real opera.)

Reply #7
I agree with Rick, Yoon-Ei.  Your computer is set up for the language symbols that are common in your country. 

The first thing I'd try is opening a simple text editor like Notepad, select the same font as NWC's Staff Lyrics , and simply start typing {Alt+001} {Alt-002} {Alt-003}... {Alt-160} {Alt-161}... {Alt-543} {Alt-544}... etc. until you find the symbol you want.  It's tedious to find the code that way, but you'll find it sooner or later.  

Another way, not quite so convenient when you have to do it many times, is to use Character Map in Windows

If your system is Windows XP Pro, go to Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Character Map.  Then you just select the - from there and copy it to your lyric editor.  Next time you need it, just go back to where it is in your lyric, and copy it from there.  There will be an ASCII or ANSI numberical code that is equivalent, but Character Map should work if you can't find that code.

If your Windows is a different version, go to your desktop, click anywhere that doesn't have an icon, then press F1 for Help, and search for Character Map to find out how to open it. 

Reply #8
When using the Character Map, specify the same font you will be using in NWC, like Boxmark2 or NWC2STDA.
Since 1998