Skip to main content
Topic: Beam slant anomaly in printer drivers (Read 3285 times) previous topic - next topic

Beam slant anomaly in printer drivers

I'm used to small variations when changing print drivers, but this seems to be something different.
In the attachment, notice the difference in the slant of the beam. In the editor, the slant looks like the one on the left.
I can only assume that either the HP driver is a bit wonky or that NWC is not fully appreciating its device context.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Beam slant anomaly in printer drivers

Reply #1
You can control the slant by adjusting stem length.

Carl
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
G'day Carl,
true, but Rick's example is important.  Why should changing the printer driver result in a completely different beam slant?

Rick, HP have notorious oddities in their drivers...  At least, I seem to see a lot of 'em in my game.  That said, they ARE usually the most predictable and pretty much universal.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Hi Lawrie,

You are right. With my Hp4p at 20. pts it is correct; at 16 pts the stem on the last note extends down below the staff. Why should it change with font size?

Carl
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #4
Why should it change with font size?
That is the "million dollar" question. And it looks like it has been around for a while:
Beam angle descrepancy (Beta 2.21)

In a simple figure like my original attachment, NWC ought to know that the beam needs to slant, but slant less than the notes. By reducing system metrics (or printer dpi), I see why NWC might think that there is insufficient resolution to dampen the beam slant properly, but the example should be a long way from that trigger.

The driver I'm using is the one that ships with XP Pro. HP's site say that it is the most current driver.
Quote from: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09005
The driver solution for this product is included in your Windows XP operating system and is already on your computer. There is no need to download anything.
Registered user since 1996