Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion Recording: HELP!!! (Read 2267 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion Recording: HELP!!!

If I do a live audio recording of me playing a snare drum and if I upload the recorded file on my computer and convert to an MIDI format, will I be able to print a musical notesheet of what I played?  Is noteworthy capable of doing that? If not, which software can do that? 

Re: Percussion Recording: HELP!!!

Reply #1
If you can get it to a MIDI file, NWC can convert it and show what you played, but it might not be very useful.  The tempo will be constant but very little of what you play will be on a descernable beat or fraction of one.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Thank you Warren for the info.  If noteworthy cannot do this, are there any softwares that can (almost accurately) pick up the snare drum recordings and be able to print it on a musical notesheet format?

Reply #3
I doubt any other product can do it any better. If you play at a very strict tempo the output can be used with just a few corrections.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Warren is probably correct. If you set the minimum note duration to a short enough time to catch the subtleties in good percussion playing, the software will likely consider any variation in tempo as a subtlety and notate it accordingly. This means you will get, e.g., lots of 16ths tied to double-dotted quarter notes when you really thought you were playing half notes. This is a general problem in MIDI interpretation, not a software-specific problem. Using a click track can cut it down, but I don't think anything can eliminate it.