Skip to main content
Topic: Audit selection - rg_AuditBarLines.vbs (Read 28578 times) previous topic - next topic

Audit selection - rg_AuditBarLines.vbs

This Tool captures the results from NWC's Audit Bar Lines and confines any changes to the User Tool selection.
If you don't like the results, just click Undo.

Download the attachment to your Scripts folder and remove ".txt" From the end of the file name.
Command is: WScript Scripts\rg_AuditBarLines.vbs

As usual, comments are welcome. If reporting a bug, please include your Windows version and any error message.

NWC's Audit Bar Lines function has some side effects:
The act of auditing bar lines triggers first a force of accidentals, then after the bar audit, an accidental audit.
The act of auditing bar lines will also move text and grace notes that appear just prior a bar to after the bar.
This tool confines these possibly undesireable changes to the selection, allowing the tool to be used without re-verifing the entire staff.

The tool imposes one restriction on the user selection: A non-grace Rest/Note/Chord/RestChord must appear in the selection and must be ahead of the first barline selected. An "unsupported selection" error will result if the selection violates this rule.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Audit selection - rg_AuditBarLines.vbs

Reply #1
To build on the argument.

I imported a MIDI file with 3/4 tempo indication. NWC filled the empty bars with a 4/4 pause.
At a point the time changed to 3/2 even if the MiDI doesn't have any change in it, so I added the new tempo in NWC and asked for an "audit bar lines".
The 4/4 pause remained 4/4; obviously all the staves were misaligned...

I write by memory for actually I can't try to reproduce the problem because of computer problems (hardware :-(, so please forgive me if I'm not precise. I hope you get the idea.

Reply #2
I imported a MIDI file with 3/4 tempo indication. NWC filled the empty bars with a 4/4 pause.

NoteWorthy explains this in Whole Note Command:
Quote from: http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/help/MNU_NOTE1.htm
For rests, the duration can vary depending on whether the rest appears by itself in a measure. If a whole rest stands alone in a measure, the duration is based on the current time signature.
One can argue that this is incorrect for 4/2 time, but 4/2 is uncommon enough that I don't see that the need to manually adjust a few rests is a big flaw.

It cannot be denied that Audit Bar Lines often produces undesireable results. By using my tool, its effects can be confined to a selection.

Reply #3
Rick,
maybe you missed the point.

No problem getting a 4/4 rest as a full bar rest in 3/4.

Changing the tempo from 3/4 to 3/2, all the 4/4 rests, that in reality were supposed to last 3/4, suddenly becomes true 4/4 rests with the consequent misalignments.

Another example: import a 2/4 piece with pauses a full bar longs. Those pauses are written as 4/4 pauses but lasts 2/4.
Change the time to 4/4 and do an "audit bar lines".
Pronto: the 4/4 pauses remains 4/4 and everything is screwed up!

Reply #4
Perhaps. It is obvious to me that if I need to change from 4/4 to 3/4 or 4/4, I will need to manually change whole rests to something else. I usually use the Find Command for this.

Reply #5
It is obvious to me that if I need to change from 4/4 to 3/4 or 4/4, I will need to manually change whole rests to something else.

Well, to me it's not obvious at all.
Plainly stated, it was completely unxpected.
And remember that it was not me that put those rests in the first place.
Furthermore, should I fill a 2/4 bar I'd rather use a 2/4 rest.

(N.B. The habitude: I called pauses (italian: pause) the rests)

>I usually use the Find Command for this.

Once aware of the problem, global_mod can be even faster.

Reply #6
Perhaps it would be nice if the audit bar lines tool (and actually, just about any of the audit tools?) continued to operate on the entire staff if there was no selection, but limited itself to only operating on the selection if there was one, as user tools do?

Reply #7
I think that if the user wants to use a tool on the entire staff, the user should select the entire staff before invoking the tool. As of version 2.1, it is impossible to design a tool that simply inserts something at the cursor. I can write a tool that inserts something before the selection, but I need to warn potential users that if they don't select anything, the tool will not perform properly.
Thanks for your interest in my tool. I'm assuming that it ran without error for you.

Reply #8
As of version 2.1, it is impossible to design a tool that simply inserts something at the cursor.
With some special coding, this is possible in NWC2.5 (currently in beta).