Skip to main content
Topic: Metronome (Read 15642 times) previous topic - next topic

Metronome

Hello all,

I've looked up this music writer and it looks promising. Is there an audible metronome for song recording?

I play keyboard in a band and I need to create sheets of music quickly. Although I understand that I will have some editing to do;
I want to write most of the song in real time, via midi, then edit it later. But in order to do this I need an audible metronome for obvious
reason.

Is this the right software?

Any input would be appreciated,

Regards

Re: Metronome

Reply #1
G'day Pianoman,
this will work quite nicely for you - I regularly record the keyboard player from my church band when we want to notate new songs that we have written.

First step is to create a "tempo" file.  I normally create a new file, set it to MIDI channel 10 (the percussion channel), set up the "click's" that I want - usually the E below the staff (percussion clef is functionally equivalent to bass clef for this purpose) and then create a pair of local repeats set to a number that exceeds the number of bars I want to record - doesn't really matter by how much as you'll hit stop when you're ready anyhow.  I usually set it to something ridiculous like 250.

Next, play back the click track so you can listen and adjust the tempo.  Once you've got this right you can continue. 

If you go to the |Tools|Options| page and select the "Record" tab you can select your input device and some other parameters.  In addition, if you go to the "Import" tab you can set additional options - some experimentation will be required to get things to suit you.  If your timing is not dead perfect, you will benefit from setting your note resolution to no smaller than 16th note - often eighth note will suffice.  Rest resolution works pretty well at quarter rest.

One thing that's REALLY important here is latency.  If you are using a softsynth be aware that your click track sounds will be behind the actual click timing in NWC.  I ALWAYS switch to a hardware synth (usually one of the synths in my Audigy card) before recording so that this softsynth latency won't be a problem.  Note that this is not an NWC limitation, but a synth limitation.

Now, assuming you've gotten your MIDI input sorted, you click the record button, let the click track play a bar or so to get your rhythm working and commence playing.  When you've recorded the amount you want click the stop button and your score import options will appear.  Things like where you want to split left and right hands and some other options.  Make your choices and continue to see the staves become populated.

It may take a few go's to get the hang of it but then you won't have any trouble.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hello Lawrie,

Thanks for your kind response. After trying this for about 30 min, I realize that you telling me what to do, but not how to do it.

<deleted>

I finally got somewhere, I found a "tempo" file (perhaps you meant "rhythm" file) from one of your previous post, to dowload.
I see the staff and hear the clicks, but I'm wondering:

Will this staff be printed as well on my piano sheet?

Regards,
DG

Reply #3
In Page Setup, Contents, you select which staffs will be visible in the editor.  The visible ones are the ones that print.

Just make sure there's no X beside the metronome staff in the Contents window.  It won't be visible in the editor, and it won't print.

Reply #4
G'day DG,
I should apologise.  I assumed you had a greater familiarity with the software than I now realise you had.

A blow by blow description would take quite a while to to do, however, if there is sufficient demand I will attempt to create a document to cover this.  Expect 10 to 15 pages (I think) if this goes ahead, but it can't possibly happen any time soon.

So, I guess if you could ask some more specific questions I'll try to address them but please realise that you will need some basic skills in NWC before this would be very effective.

It's like anything - you can't use say, a hammer, very effectively until you learn the basics.  You know the drill - don't choke it, instead hold it near the end of the handle where it balances best in your hand etc..  Using any software application is the same - ya gotta develop a basic familiarity before you can progress to the advanced features.

As a starter, I have a tempo (or rhythm if you prefer) file that I use for the purpose.  I will record the keyboard to this file then copy the staves created to another file that is based on a template I use for our church band stuff.  I do NOT copy the tempo (or rhythm) staff 'cos I don't want it.  Eventually I add a drumkit staff, a vocal staff, 'bone and flute staves, bass staff etc.  but it is all built around the piano staves originally recorded.

NWC has so much flexibility that all I can really do is tell you how I do it.  It is not a definitive method, just my method - others will do it their way.  Undoubtedly, anything I may teach you will only form a basis or perhaps some starter ideas for you to develop your own techniques.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
In Page Setup, Contents, you select which staffs will be visible in the editor.  The visible ones are the ones that print.

Just make sure there's no X beside the metronome staff in the Contents window.  It won't be visible in the editor, and it won't print.

Hi David!

Thanks for your input. It seems I have to buy NWC to go any further at this point.

Regards

Reply #6
G'day DG,
I should apologise.  I assumed you had a greater familiarity with the software than I now realise you had.

A blow by blow description would take quite a while to to do, however, if there is sufficient demand I will attempt to create a document to cover this.  Expect 10 to 15 pages (I think) if this goes ahead, but it can't possibly happen any time soon.

It wouldn't feel right to ask you to write 15 pages of notes. I know I wouldn't have to time even if I could.
I'll give NWC a try and if I'm really stuck in something I'll ask in here.

Thanks for everything.
Regards,
DG