Skip to main content
Topic: Extending the special ending sign (Read 9248 times) previous topic - next topic

Extending the special ending sign

Hi!

I've got a question.
If I use a special ending, only the first measure will be marked with that sign.
Is there a way I can mark multiple measures with that sign?

I.e.: I have this:
<Image Link>

I want this:
<Image Link>

Re: Extending the special ending sign

Reply #2
G'day Edwinus,
welcome to the forum.

NWC doesn't do this natively, but there is a workaround that can be effective.

It involves using text entries and one of my fonts.

If you check out this sample chart you'll see an example:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/SupportFiles/Fonts/MusikDingsSerif-SampleChart.pdf
The necessary font is the *Text font from the suite - E.G. the example is using the MusikTextSerif.ttf from the MusikDingsSerif suite to create the line characters required.

The attachment has the necessary entries, but you'll need to install the MusikDingsSerif suite to see it work correctly.  See this post for font availability:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6574.msg44897#msg44897

I notice that while I've been writing this reply Sesirine has referenced an alternative method.  My suggestion gives a little more control with no need for layering staves.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Srine. E's solution works fine for me.
Thanks a lot!

Reply #4
Just checked out Ertugrul's tip, which was written back in the NWC1 days.  You don't need to insert a time signature in the second staff endings, just make sure you remove the bar lines between the place you want the ending to start and end.

This makes it much easier.  Just copy all of the first staff, with the special endings already entered, into the new second staff.  Highlight all the contents of the new staff, set them to mute and visibility=never, then remove the hidden bar lines in the special endings.  Make the special endings in the bottom staff visible.  Allow layering.  It works.

Reply #5
Another answer: you must download this file and you can insert a line at the end of the special ending.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #6
Interesting solution - I wonder if Eric might modify the Special Ending dialogue to allow this from within NWC instead of needing to use a text editor...  It would also need to eliminate the slight gap that exists.

Reply #7
Another answer: you must download <snip> and you can insert a line at the end of the special ending.
Good find. I don't know how you produced the empty Special Ending, but it could have many uses. In combination with text it will let you eliminate the final confusing D. or insert to next strain.

Interesting solution - I wonder if Eric might modify the Special Ending dialogue to allow this from within NWC instead of needing to use a text editor... 
I don't think that you can produce it with a text editor. It seems to be something that copies, saves and loads using NWC2's binary format, but not its text format. It you export to nwctxt, import fails.

It would also need to eliminate the slight gap that exists.
Not really, the gap only exists in the editor. It does take up space on the printed page. That should be addressed if it is to be kept.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
I don't think that you can produce it with a text editor. It seems to be something that copies, saves and loads using NWC2's binary format, but not its text format. It you export to nwctxt, import fails.

I was referring to clip text, not .nwctxt.

Reply #9
I was referring to clip text, not .nwctxt.
I'm refering to both. If I copy the object from the file in the initial post, I get:
|Ending|Endings:|Color:0|Visibility:Default
That won't paste properly.

Reply #10
OK, now I'm confused - I could'a sworn I successfully pasted the clip text last night:
Ending|Endings:
but you're correct, it doesn't paste correctly...  So, I'll bite - how did Sesirine create it in the first place?

Reply #11
So, I'll bite - how did Sesirine create it in the first place?
Dunno.

This produces a logical, but unexpected result:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Ending|Endings:8 
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #12
So, I'll bite - how did Sesirine create it in the first place?

To be honest, I made a file corrupted. Strange things happened, and "Empty special ending" is one of them.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #13
Thanks for this reply, Seserine - I've been scratching my head and experimenting and trying to figure out how you did it, without any success. It's comforting, in an odd way, to know it was just a happy accident. The question we now need to address to Eric is: since this is potentially so useful, can we have it on purpose instead of by cutting and pasting part of a corrupted file?

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #14
Interesting solution - I wonder if Eric might modify the Special Ending dialogue to allow this from within NWC
Ought to be fairly easy. Currently, if you do not select anything, NWC objects. If the objection is removed, the object in Seserine's file could be inserted. IMO, on playback, it should be ignored.

Edit: Currently, any "hacked" Special Endings are converted to Text by User Tools.

Reply #15
In the end, this would still end up as a workaround.  It would be better by far to be able to have the special ending object extend across multiple bars and then terminate with an appripriate vertical line.

Perhaps part of the SE definition could define the number of bars within the SE...

Reply #16
Of course, you're right, Lawrie. In the meantime, though, I'll take the empty special ending, which - as Rick suggests - shouldn't be at all hard to implement.

Reply #17
Perhaps part of the SE definition could define the number of bars within the SE...
I think not. If a SE is to be terminated early, an empty, hidden SE should suffice, much like a hairpin is stopped by a Dynamic (or Dynamic Variance). This would allow it to end mid-measure, which is sometimes needed. Otherwise it should contine until it encounters a Master Repeat Close, a Section Close or the end of the piece in which case it should terminate with an appropriate vertical line on the thin line of the Master Repeat Close, Section Close or at the end of the Staff.

It also needs |Text: and Pos:, working the same as as the Instrument object uses |Name: and Pos:
For example, in this SE: |Ending|Endings:2,D the Default Text would be: "|2.D."
If the user specified Text that did not begin with "|", a Special Ending would be drawn without an opening vertical line. If Pos: is above the staff, the vertical lines should begin just above the top staff line and contine upwards to form a corner.

In an ideal world, NWC2 should be able to determine Pos: in the same way that it determines the height of an upwards slur, but I digress...

Reply #18
Here very annoyin' thin' goes... <Click Here>
NWC User since 2008