Skip to main content
Topic: Two slurs between the same two chords (Read 5718 times) previous topic - next topic

Two slurs between the same two chords

Sorry if I'm not wording this correctly, I'm not particularly well versed in musical vocabulary.

I have two chords, and am attempting to place a slur between the top notes of both chords and another slur between the bottom notes of both chords. The program only lets me place one slur, however. How do I place the bottom slur?

I've included an image to help explain what I'm talking about. The slur in red is the one I am having difficulty placing.

<Image Link>

Sorry if this has already been answered, I waded through a dozen slur problems but couldn't find anything that answered my question.

Re: Two slurs between the same two chords

Reply #1
NWC only places the single slur - to get what you are looking for requires layering.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Here is how to do it.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
You should check 'Allow Layering'.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #4
You should check 'Allow Layering'.

That's a system setting, it isn't saved in the song...

<Edit>  Thanks to a prod from Warren I did some extra checking and it turns out I've made an error - this setting IS saved in the song.  mea culpa
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Since 1998

Reply #6
If you lay a ruler vertically across a staff and it passes through 2 slurs, layering will be required to reproduce it.

The nwc attachment shows 2 ways. The second method uses "digital whiteout" on 'Highlight 2' as described <here>.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Here is another way. Ms. 2 uses muted, stemless, headless notes without ledger lines on the lower staff. The B on the upper staff uses extra note spacing set at 1 to place the slur better.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press

Reply #8
The B on the upper staff uses extra note spacing set at 1 to place the slur better.
Unfortunately, extra note spacing (as used in your example) is incompatible with accidentals and notes on other staves. It also increases the spacing from the previous note/chord/rest for no apparent reason.

I don't use digital whiteout if there is a better alternative but it seems to be the best method when slurs need to end before a stem down.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Rick, you've set Highlight 2 to white to produce your digital whiteout. If one hasn't done this, like me, the whiteout turns to greenout, which is not as effective ;-). My digital whiteout color is Highlight 7.

Just thought I should point this out in case someone gets confused. As a long-term fix, since digital whiteout is so useful, perhaps Eric could assign one of the Highlight colors to white as a default. Then we'd all be using the same one.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #10
Rick,

You're right. The alignment with other staves can be fixed  by using note spacing; but there doesn't appear to be any way to fix the accidentals. Digital whiteout does appear to be the best solution. I also use highlight 7 for white.

Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press

Reply #11
Which do you like better?

<Image Link>
NWC User since 2008

Reply #12
I like the second one better. It takes up less space, and it looks like a smile.
But that does not mean that the second one is "correct".

Reply #13
They all can be correct. I like the second one, too.
How do you think, Countdown?
NWC User since 2008