Skip to main content
Topic: Need some help please- it's gone silent! (Read 4333 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some help please- it's gone silent!

I don't know what I've done, and wondered if anyone could help.  Earlier today, I was able to play what I had written on Noteworthy composer, and also hear the notes as I added them to the score.  I then exported the midi, and now I seem to have no sound.  I can't play back, even on older saved files.  I'm wondering if I clicked on something in error.

I've tried closing the program and reopening, and also rebooting the computer, but neither worked.

Hope someone can help. 

Re: Need some help please- it's gone silent!

Reply #1
This is a common problem when people use Windows Media Player. (Which I suspect you might have done when you played your midi file.)
Windows media player takes the volume settings down.

You need to click on the little speaker in the task bar and then examine the different sliders.  One of them will be set to minimum.
Re-set it and all will be ok.

Rich.
Rich.

Reply #2
oh thank you Rich!  That worked perfectly.  Yup, one of the sliders had gone down to the bottom, now fixed.

Reply #3
My own preference is to completely abandon Windows Media player.  I use either Winamp or Van Bascoe. (Needless to say, I don't get this problem !!!)

R.
Rich.

Reply #4
Maybe a popup when you press F5 saying:

Do you know that your volume is set to ZERO?

IOW, we will keep seeing this question: [move]Again and again ...[/move]

Anyone know if this problem is fixed in Vista?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Can't say for definite but I played a file in NWC then exported it to midi and pplayed it through Media Player, then went back to NWC and the file played fine. So perhaps Vista has sorted it out.

Reply #6
Load a MIDI file into Media Player, play a bit of it. Then pause it.
Play a NoteWorthy file. Can you hear it?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Anyone know if this problem is fixed in Vista?

Yes, it is fixed in Vista. In Vista, each application user of the soft synth gets its own volume, as shown in the attached screen shot. In this shot, NWC2 is open and playing, and so is Media Player. Each program gets its own independent volume slider. Also in Vista, Media Player does not seem to zero out its volume when pausing (at least, it is not shown in the volume control).