Skip to main content
Topic: maybe it's a midi problem?  (Read 3185 times) previous topic - next topic

maybe it's a midi problem?

Hello (again).

After long absence, I'm attempting to use NWC again, so I'm a bit rusty.  I have a song from an older version, and I may have had this problem on the older version, I don't remember. 

My song has lot of MPC's in it, it also uses organ sound fonts.  On a 'fresh' start, opening NWC, loading the song and playing it, the play is perfect.  But on replay, the sound is off by at least one octave too high.  The only way I have found to get it to play correctly again is to close NWC, and start over.  So I think I must be missing some sort of 'reset', but after quite a lot of searching, haven't been able to find just what.

I've read some of this forum and tried to search for this problem but no joy.  I did try the suggestion to add a bar at the end with 'Force System Break' also no joy.  I have narrowed it down to one single register, but still have the problem.

Help?

Many thanks, and many thanks to those that have kept these forums going!

Judy

Re: maybe it's a midi problem?

Reply #1
Try pressing F6 twice, or click on the <Image Link> button twice.
More details <here>.
Hard to tell which MPC is causing the problem. It may even be on a muted staff as muting a staff does not disable MPC's.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
NoteWorthy Sortware themselves supplied this file to reset the mpcs some years ago.

However, I think the best option is to search through the file, making a note of what you use on which staff and then cleanly close them down at the end of the music.
Rich.

Reply #3
Thanks guys!

I'm in the process of sorting out which fonts are used where.  I see in the scriptorium that there are new versions of AWE and JEUX fonts, so I'll be giving those a try, but since JEUX is recommended to be on bank #43+? and I've had it on #2+, I thought I'd go through it and see if that doesn't give better font management.

Nice to see you again Rich! :)

Judy

Reply #4
I have put in a little time on this.  For anyone else following this, the recommended bank for Jeux is #42.  I moved everything accordingly, but this did not help.  What has helped is to send a midi at the end of each stave, as in Patch 1, Bank 0, making sure to check "Send Bank Select", then to add an MPC setting the volume to 1, and adding a single note.  I tried a variety of using these singly or in pairs, instead of all three, but that did not work for me.

So, the wedding may proceed as planned ;)

Thanks for being here!

Judy

Reply #5
What has helped is to send a midi at the end of each stave, as in Patch 1, Bank 0, making sure to check "Send Bank Select", then to add an MPC setting the volume to 1, and adding a single note.  I tried a variety of using these singly or in pairs, instead of all three, but that did not work for me.
Interesting. That would imply that your soundcard or synthfont driver does not implement Program Changes until it receives a Note On. The problem with your fix is that if you don't play to the end of the song, it doesn't fix anything.

Your problem may be that you are starting out playing notes without an Initial Program Change or with Program Changes that do not send a Bank Select. If you could email me the file, I could investigate further. I have MIDI-OX configured to display everything that NWC2 sends. I can see exactly what state the MIDI subsystem should be in at the end of a song. This doesn't insure that your subsystem would actually be in that state, but it is a step down the road ...
Registered user since 1996