Skip to main content
Topic: Audit stem direction of beamed notes (Read 19039 times) previous topic - next topic

Audit stem direction of beamed notes

After transposing or shifting notes, Audit Note Stems is usually used to clean things up. Unfortunately, it ignores some beamed notes.

This little tool may help:
Quote from: AuditBeamStems.vbs
Option Explicit ' AuditBeamStems.vbs Ver 1.0 - Rick G.
' NWC2 UserTool to force default stem direction of beamed notes
' &Command: WScript Scripts\AuditBeamStems.vbs

Dim e
For Each e In Split(WScript.StdIn.ReadAll, vbCrLf)
  If Instr(e, "Beam=First") Then
    If Instr(e, "Dur2:" ) = Instr(e, Chr(34)) Then
      e = Replace(e, "Stem=Up,", "")
      e = Replace(e, "Stem=Down,", "")
    End If
  End If
  WScript.StdOut.WriteLine e
Next

Edit: added "some".
Registered user since 1996

Re: Audit stem direction of beamed notes

Reply #1
G'day Rick,
Unfortunately, it ignores beamed notes.
Umm, are you certain of this mate?  I was sure that I'd used it successfully in the past so I just did a quick test and it seemed to work OK for me...  Am I missing something?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I just did a quick test and it seemed to work OK for me...  Am I missing something?
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #3
The audit worked OK for me...  Except I kinda would have expected the triplet to go stems down - that seems to me to be an anomaly, even though in this case (pos-1,0,1) I prefer the stem up result.  However, if I move things up then the audit will definitely flip the stem direction correctly.

Reply #4
The audit worked OK for me...  Except I kinda would have expected the triplet to go stems down - that seems to me to be an anomaly
Both sets should go down. Surely 'Audit Note Stems' should yield the same result as 'Automatic Beam' on notes with no stem direction set.

I think I've fixed this problem:
The stem direction fix I would like to see has to do with shifting barred groups of notes. When you shift unbarred notes up or down the staff, the stem changes direction appropriately as you cross over that middle line. Barred notes don't. Take a barred F#-G at the bottom of the treble staff, with the stems appropriately up - move it up an octave - and presto! the stems remain inappropriately up, while all around them turn appropriately down. Why is this? I realize that NWC must align all the stems in a barred group in the same direction, and that the "stem up" and "stem down" commands provide a ready-made way to do this. But it isn't always an appropriate way.
Perhaps not as automatic as Bill wants, but it can be run it on a selection rather than having to run 'Audit Note Stems' on the whole staff.

Reply #5
Both sets should go down. Surely 'Audit Note Stems' should yield the same result as 'Automatic Beam' on notes with no stem direction set.

Ah, of course - musta had me eyes shut...  Thanks mate

Reply #6
As of version 2.5, NoteWorthy Composer's Audit Note Stems works on a selection. The tool described above is no longer needed.