Skip to main content
Topic: A quick Question (Read 10080 times) previous topic - next topic

A quick Question

I am trying to put in a "Second Time Only" notation that would be active for 4 bars.  How would I go about this?

Re: A quick Question

Reply #1
If the second time bar is the last repeat, then just use the second time marker.
If there is a third time sequence of bars then end the second time series with the master repeat close. The second time marker only needs to be on the initial second time bar and the master repeat close marks the end of the sequence.

The 1/2/3 etc time markers can be accessed by pressing key S or by selecting "Special Ending" from the insert menu.

Rich.

Reply #2
   Hi, tubaboy.

I'm not sure I understand what Richard is suggesting, but I suspect he may have misunderstood your question - at least, he hasn't answered the one I think you're asking.  So ... this is what I say and suggest:-

There's no intrinsic method - Noteworthy doesn't include programmable stuff like "If this is the first time then play such-and-such, else play other-such-and-such", but you can fake it, using layering.

Set up (so as to extend within the repeat) a duplicate staff, but with the alternate (second time) notes.  These can be anywhere at all within the note sequence.  This staff is to be layered under the main staff.  Outside the repeat - before the repeat open symbol - zero the duplicate's output using the MPC volume control.  At the end of the repeated portion, but within the portion (ie, before the repeat close symbol) zero the main staff's volume and reset to a use level the layered duplicate staff volume.  Thus, for the first time the main staff plays while the repeat staff is muted, but in the repeat the main, first-time staff is effectively muted while the duplicate, second-time staff plays.  Then, beyond the repeat close symbol, re-set each staff's volume to the correct, playable, level.

MusicJohn, 2/Apr/09

Reply #3
Hmmm

I was answering as if the question related to a master repeat second time. I suspect that John is answering as if it's a second time after a DS or DC marking.

Perhaps after re-reading, the DS or DC variant was the question - tubaboy963 will have to confirm.
Rich.

Reply #4
Both suggestions (Rich and MusicJohn) work, but I think Rich's could be a bit awkward, since you'd have to write rests up to the first ending.  MusicJohn's is the method I would use, but without layering.  Simply this:

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:360|Pos:9
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,0|Pos:-4|Justify:Right
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Text|Text:"2X only "|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:6
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-3
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,65|Pos:-6|Justify:Right
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-4
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-5
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-6
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

If Tubaboy has NWC2, he can copy this clip into it to see and hear it.  Otherwise, all I've done is placed master repeat open and master repeat close signs around 4 measures, with MusicJohn's first MPC entry just before the master repeat open and the second MPC just before the master repeat close.  The notes are silent the first time through, but audible the second time.  The visual notation is simply to use text to say 2X only, or X2, or Second time only, etc.

Reply #6
Another varaition:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Key|Signature:C
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:60|Pos:9
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Ending|Endings:1|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"2X only "|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:13
|Ending|Endings:2|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:0z^|Visibility:Never
|Ending|Endings:1,2|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-1z^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-2z^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:-3z^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-4
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-5
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-6
If |Ending|Endings:?|Visibility:Never didn't take up so much space in the Editor, this would look a lot cleaner.
IMO, |Ending should support |Pos:? and when set to |Visibility:Never, space like other objects.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
I started with the assumption that Tubaboy wanted to have two different sets of notes, one to play the first time, and the other to play the second time, and anywhere within a section of music.  You can do this with my suggested method, but not, I think, with any of the others.
Here's an example (I'm sorry it goes on so long; I can't figure out how to get it in a small box!).

!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:"<Name>"|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:"Copyright © 2009 <Name>"|Copyright2:"All Rights Reserved"
|PgSetup|StaffSize:16|Zoom:4|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:0|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:None|StartingBar:1|AllowLayering:N
|Font|Style:Staff Italic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:10|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Bold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Lyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:7|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Title Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Small Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.27|Top:1.27|Right:1.27|Bottom:1.27|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Style:Standard|Layer:Y|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:6
|Bar|Color:6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down|Color:6
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,0|Pos:8
|Text|Text:"zero vol"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:5|Wide:Y
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,127|Pos:8
|Text|Text:"reset vol"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:5|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Style:Standard|Layer:N|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Visibility:Never
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,0|Pos:-5|Color:7
|Text|Text:"zero vol"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-8|Wide:Y|Color:7
|Text|Text:"Green Notes 2nd time only"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8|Color:2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:16th,Triplet=First|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:16th,Triplet|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:16th,Triplet=End|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Up|Color:2
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:1|Pt1:0,127|Pos:-5|Color:7
|Text|Text:"reset vol"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-8|Wide:Y|Color:7
|Rest|Dur:Whole|Visibility:Never
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

MusicJohn, 3/Apr/09

Reply #8
What it is is 4 bars in the middle of a section that are only played the second time.

Reply #9
But how do you get to the "second time" ?  Is it through a local repeat, master repeat or a DS/DC action?
Rich.

Reply #10
Tubaboy

Do you mean that the second time contains four EXTRA bars, or do you mean - like I supposed - that it contains four similar bars but with DIFFERENT notes?  If the latter then my suggestion fits OK; if the former ... then I don't know how to do that in a "neat" way.

MusicJohn, 5/Apr/09

Reply #11
To answer Rich, it's through a master repeat.
To answer Music John, the 2nd time only is 4 different bars that are omitted the first time through.

Reply #12
the 2nd time only is 4 different bars that are omitted the first time through.
If you split the piece into lettered sections, you seem to be describing: A B D B C D E
where section 'C' is omitted the first time. If so, this will work:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Tempo|Base:Half|Tempo:60|Pos:9
|Key|Signature:C
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Ending|Endings:1,2
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:2
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1,2
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:2
|Ending|Endings:1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
Adjust visibilty on the Special Endings as needed.

Reply #13
I am impressed, Rick, by your imaginative use of special endings - it's not exactly intuitive, but seems to work very well.  I will add it to my list of clever tricks.

MusicJohn, 6/Apr/09

Reply #15
   Wow.  The combination of special endings and invisible headless grace notes is pretty fantastic!  I sit in awe at the feet of a true Master.  Nice work!

MusicJohn, 6/Apt/09

PS   I wonder if, purely for playing purposes, it could be squeezed down to a single lyric line, coupled to - as Tubaboy wants - additional bars each time round?

Reply #16
Thanks for your kind words. <This change> has expanded NoteWorthy's capabilities in ways that I am still discovering.
I wonder if, purely for playing purposes, it could be squeezed down to a single lyric line
If you mean playing via NoteWorthy, the cleanest way would be to do it in one continuous line with no repeats.
You might try setting the playing style to Tenuto at the beginning of each staff, exporting it to MIDI and then re-importing it. Clean-up should be minimal.

NoteWorthy's playback implementation of Special Endings is very powerful. It is a shame that they look so ugly in the editor and are so inflexible on the printed page.

Reply #17
Rick

I think you have put my mind in a moebius strip trying to imagine how you came up with this one.

Excellent. Nice one.

Rich.