Skip to main content
Topic: Media usage rights (Read 3332 times) previous topic - next topic

Media usage rights

I've done a number of searches, but can't find anything that directly applies.

This is probably more a windows issue than a NWC issue, but is driving me nuts.

I prchased NWC to facilitate learning harmony for songs I sing in a choir, and would like to record CD's to listeb to in the car. When I ask NWC to record, it says no recorder is installed. I thought I got around this by saving the music as a midi file which I can play on the windows media player. I cannot record the midi files however. I get the message that I don't have media usage rights.

I'm running Vista 64 bit and whatever media player comes packaged with that.

Any easy fixes?

Re: Media usage rights

Reply #1
By creating a midi file, you are on the right track to being able to create an audio CD.  You will need a program such as SynthFont to convert your midi file into an mp3, wav, or wma file that can be written on an audio CD.  I think it is a free program.

Welcome to NWC.
Since 1998

Re: Media usage rights

Reply #2
G'day gallium,
welcome aboard.

I prchased NWC to facilitate learning harmony for songs I sing in a choir, and would like to record CD's to listeb to in the car. When I ask NWC to record, it says no recorder is installed. I thought I got around this by saving the music as a midi file which I can play on the windows media player. I cannot record the midi files however. I get the message that I don't have media usage rights.

"Record" in NWC is for recording INTO NWC from a MIDI interface, not te create a recording of an NWC song...

To create an MP3 or WAV file or whatever for use in a CD player you need to collect output from NWC in some way.  Warren's suggestion of creating a MIDI and using synthfont or the like is one way. 

I personally use a somewhat slower method...  As I have a full duplex soundcard (SB Audigy) I play the song in NWC and then using a wav recorder (I use Audacity) I record "What U Hear" which is a Creative specific name, there are other names to mean the same signal availability.  Often something like a "monitor" output, or you could even select "MIDI" within Audacity.

From Audacity you can export to wav or mp3 or any number of useful formats. 

Once you have an actual audio file, us you burner software to create either an audio CD or if your CD player can recognise them, a CD of mp3's

As fo an "easy fix" - don't use microsoft tools for this kind of work - m$ don't know the difference between copyright material and stuff you create yourself...  IMHO their digital rights management is broken...  In concept as well as implementation.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.