Skip to main content
Topic: Extra note spacing WITHOUT extra accidental spacing? (Read 3785 times) previous topic - next topic

Extra note spacing WITHOUT extra accidental spacing?

Preliminary question: When you use Extend Last System, why does only the staff itself stretch out, but not the notes/chords on it?

Main question: In order to improve the appearance on the page caused by the above-mentioned anomoly, I apply Extra Note Spacing on the last line.  Problem: If you apply this feature to a note/chord than contains an accidental, the note/chord stretches out, but the accidental stays in place, creating a wide space between the accidental and the note.  Is there any way to force the accidental to stay directly next to its note?

Additional question: Is there a way to apply Extra Note Spacing simultaneously to all the notes in a given vertical position, on multiple staves?

Thanks. 

Re: Extra note spacing WITHOUT extra accidental spacing?

Reply #1
I figured out a work-around shortly after posting my questions.

On the top staff, add a bar line just before the final bar line.  Select this bar line, Edit > Properties > Force System Break.  You end up with an extra mini-measure at the end of the top staff.  It does not appear in Print Preview and does not print.

Reply #2
Thanks. that helps.

Preliminary question: When you use Extend Last System, why does only the staff itself stretch out, but not the notes/chords on it?
This option was made obsolete by 'Force System Break'. Don't use it. It shouldn't be there, but someone always seems to scream when it is suggested that obsolete options be removed. The death of progress...

Main question: In order to improve the appearance on the page caused by the above-mentioned anomoly, I apply Extra Note Spacing on the last line.  Problem: If you apply this feature to a note/chord than contains an accidental, the note/chord stretches out, but the accidental stays in place, creating a wide space between the accidental and the note.  Is there any way to force the accidental to stay directly next to its note?
No. This is not what Extra Note/Accidental Spacing is for. Use text spaces that 'Preserve Width' to spread out note spacing.

Additional question: Is there a way to apply Extra Note Spacing simultaneously to all the notes in a given vertical position, on multiple staves?
No
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Rick G's answer is helpful. 

One remaining minor problem: Using Force System Break at the end (as described in this string of posts) does ensure that the last line is long as the others.  But, the measures per line are not even.  I have three lines total.  First line, 6 measures (plus one partial measure at the beginning); second line, 7 measures; last line, 2 measures s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out.  I guess you just have to force system breaks here and there, by trial and error?  Or is there a programmatic way to force the lines to have approximately equal numbers of measures?  Thanks.

Reply #4
You may need to 'Force System Break' on a few other barlines to get enough music into each line to make it look right. Not quite as smart as Lilypond in this regard, but with NoteWorthy, it doesn't take 2 minutes to see the effect of a change.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I guess you just have to force system breaks here and there, by trial and error?  Or is there a programmatic way to force the lines to have approximately equal numbers of measures?  Thanks.

Generally I like to have from 4 to 6 bars per line.  Once I've added the forced system break, I eyeball the result in Print Preview, and just add forced system breaks say at the end of the fifth bar from the end.  Then maybe 5 or 6 bars before that, etc.

It isn't timeconsuming, and as Rick says, you can see the result right away.