Skip to main content
Topic: Print Layout (Read 4402 times) previous topic - next topic

Print Layout

I am evaluating NWC as well as other notation software, to use in conjunction with a scanning program (PhotoScan lite seems to work best for me) and I just love how intuitive and easy to use NW is, but I'm a little put off by the print output from the software. Looked through old messages and found one thread all the way back to 1997 asking for the ability to space out the bars evenly so that the last line extends across the page, the way music is typically printed. It's just disconcerting to me to see a bar that only goes halfway across the page, it tends to just pull my eye down to that line. I tried seeing if I could export it to something like Lilypond (which has superb printing) but the converter available for NWC is just too bare bones to work for me.

Any suggestions? Sure I am not the only one to be put off so much by this?

Re: Print Layout

Reply #1
Go to the General Tab of Staff Properties (F2) and select: 'Open (hidden)' for 'Ending Bar:'
Close that, and add whatever kind of closing barline you need to the staff. Check: 'Force System Break' on the final barline's properties.

You may need to 'Force System Break' on a few other barlines to get enough music into each line to make it look right. Not quite as smart as Lilypond in this regard, but with NoteWorthy, it doesn't take 2 minutes to see the effect of a change.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
You can also space individual bars out by entering a text expression, just several hits on the Space bar, and tick the "Preserve Width" box, between notes. Just cut and paste it along the bars between suitable notes and check "Print Preview" to see when it looks satisfactory for you.

Reply #3
You actually don't have to change the ending bar to "hidden" in the staff properties box. It doesn't matter what it is. Just add a new barline right before it, tick the "force system break" box, and choose whatever other properties you want for the ending barline. In the editor, you will have two ending barlines, but in Print Preview and in the printed output you will only have the one you have placed the forced system break on. As long as there is no notation beyond a forced system break, NWC will not print anything beyond it.

Reply #4
You actually don't have to change the ending bar to "hidden" in the staff properties box. ... NWC will not print anything beyond it.
True, but this looks rather strange in the Editor. In the Viewer, it is quite confusing. The extra bar line shows in the scroll, but not in Print Preview. It might lead some to think that the file is corrupt.

I wish that 'Paste As New File' used a template with a hidden final bar line. Using 'Paste As New File' must make new users wonder where the bar line came from when the were no bar lines in the clip.

Retaining legacy features eases the transition for existing users, but the cumulative effect of retaining them forever is software that becomes confusing to new users.

Reply #5
Hi Rick -

I don't use the Viewer much, so I hadn't noticed the problem there. I agree with you that the Viewer shouldn't show two ending barlines, and for scores destined for the Viewer it is probably wise to use the ending bar: open option. For scores you are simply going to edit and print out, thought, it doesn't seem much of a problem to have the extra barline. It can even be useful when working with hidden staves, if there are any placed above the score. The presence of the extra barline partway down the system is a good visual reminder to hide everything above it before printing, if you have a tendency to forget....like me....("As you age, there are two things that begin to go. The memory is one, and I can't remember the other.")

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #6
Hi Bill -
I agree with you that the Viewer shouldn't show two ending barlines.
Agreement would be difficult since I think the fault lies with the user that created the file, not with the Viewer.

There I go, being disagreeable again.

Reply #7

Quote from: Rick G.
There I go, being disagreeable again.

OK....be that way. ;-)

Actually, you have a point, in that the problem with the Viewer is user-correctable. But the ending barline does have to be changed from the default setting in order to correct the Viewer's appearance, and it seems to me that the default setting should be one that gives correct results in both the printout and the Viewer - not just one or the other.

Cheers,

Bill