Skip to main content
Topic: One of those conversion questions (Read 3548 times) previous topic - next topic

One of those conversion questions

Hi all,
A friend asks me "p.s. kan jij finale-bestandjes omzetten naar midi? Kan ik dit zelf misschien?"
Can you convert finale-files to Midi? Could I do this myself maybe?

I have searched the forum and found much - but not what I need. I just tried Harmony Assistant, but the export capabilities of the trial version consist of a few bars only.
Is there another way of converting .mus to Midi, or better still, to .nwc? Maybe to Music XML?

cheers,
Rob.

Re: One of those conversion questions

Reply #2
Barry, after seeing your reply, I downloaded the demo version of Finale Notepad, opened an Ellington .mus score a friend sent me years ago for my rehearsal band, exported from there to MXML and used MXML2NWCC to import the result to NWC2. 

Once I had the download installed, the whole process took less than a minute. It looks pretty accurate too, so I doubt if I'll have to correct much. 

I will buy the licenced version straight away - the price is right and this is going to allow me to increase our repertoire considerably.  And I'm not tempted in the least to abandon NWC2 because rearranging the chart to suit our instrumentation is a piece of cake in NWC, but awkward in the old version of Finale I have. 

So, thank you, thank you, thank you, Barry.  I owe you a beer (or two or three).

Reply #3
Would that be a virtual beer or the real thing?

Reply #4
Real, virtually.

Reply #5
Well, I guess I have to spend a few dollars then!
Time to tell my friend Hesther the good news.
Thanks Barry for pointing out, and thanks David for the endorsement!