Skip to main content
Topic: How do you do n-tuplets where n isn't 3? (Read 3477 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you do n-tuplets where n isn't 3?

I can do a set of quintuplet quavers (long explanation) which consists:

(demisemiquaver + dotted hemidemisemiquaver) for the 1st and 4th quintuplet, and a dotted demisemiquaver for the 2nd 3rd and 5th.

a demisemiquaver is a 1/32nd note (half a semiquaver), a hemidemisemiquaver is a 1/64th note (half a demisemiquaver or a quarter of a semiquaver).

A perfect quintuplet quaver will be exactly 0.2 times the duration of a crotchet. With the way I use it, the notes come out as 0.21875 (+0.01875 longer), 0.40625 (+0.00625), 0.59375 (0.00625), 0.8125 (+0.0125) and the last quintuplet quaver ends at exactly 1.

That being said, what's the most acurate way of doing things like septuplets?

Re: How do you do n-tuplets where n isn't 3?

Reply #2
But there isn't away so that you can create something close to a septuplet that doesn't like cause the beat to go out by 3 extra notes or something? For example with pentuplets, the rest of the song would be like 1/2 a beat out <_<

Reply #3
Lawrie: Thanks for the link <g>.

Ultimate:  First of all, welcome to the NWC community.

The short answer is no.  This is a workaround to create n-tuplets which sound and look as close to the real thing as possible.  The tuplets are preceeded by a hidden tempo change so that seven 16ths play in the time it takes four 16ths to normally play.  All staves are lengthened by three 16ths and notes are lengthened on other staves so they will fill those 7 instead of their usual 4 and another hidden tempo change after the tuplets gets you back to where you were as in the Thais attachment in the pentuplet tip (or look at the finished product on scriptorium).

I wish the hidden-played displayed-muted staves weren't necessary, but for right now I don't know of a better way.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Ah.. OK. Also, I'm not new here. I'm Matthew Collinson, and some of you may remember I made some topics 6 years ago in 2002.

Reply #5
That's about the time when I first bought Noteworthy...!
Welcome back, then.