Skip to main content
Topic: Vertical text (Read 2815 times) previous topic - next topic

Vertical text

Hi, Is there a way to type in text vertically besides horizontally?

Kris

Re: Vertical text

Reply #1
Hi Kris

Only, I think, by having each letter as a separate text item and aligning them vertically.  Also you may need to align against next note/bar to make sure that all of the letters are in a strict vertical line rather than higgledy piggledy (sp ?)
Rich.

Reply #2
may need to align against next note/bar

...and you can make that note a muted, stemless, and headless grace note, so it isn't visible and doesn't interfere with the alignment of bar lines from staff to staff.

If your word is 8 letters or less, then you can instead use the lyric editor, and make each letter a separate verse.  Make the note properties of all notes except your muted, stemless, headless grace notegrace Lyric Syllable Never, and make the grace note's property Lyric Syllable Always. 

If you need more letters, then use a layered staff and put the extra characters as lyrics in it, but adjust the vertical size of that staff so the lyrics begin vertically where the lyric from the first staff leaves off.

Both Richard's method and my idea will align the letters vertically, but there isn't any way to turn the letters themselves on their side, so far as I know.   I think the lyric editor thing is a little prettier, and you don't have to worry about placing the text entries in the right vertical position as much, in the l.e. it's sort of automatic.

Reply #3
A bit of extra tinkering that's possible with David's method: you can place a lyric either at the top or the bottom of the staff. The command is in the "create lyrics" box, under "alignment."

Bill