Skip to main content
Topic: dynamic variance (Read 7507 times) previous topic - next topic

dynamic variance

How come putting a decrescendo or diminuendo does nothing at all to the volume of the note?
(it works, however with the VOLTEST sample, but I can't figure out how to replicate those results)

Re: dynamic variance

Reply #1
Forcing a Crecendo or diminuendo on a single note will not happen on all configurations / sound cards. However, if the VOLTEST works for you, then you should always be able to make it work.

The trick is to edit the previous dynamic marking and the next dynamic marking so that the values (velocity and volume) are specified (rather than the default flag).

These are what you need to change the volume on a single note (or a tied note).

For more information on this area, you would do well to read Tina Billett's explanations here :
http://www.keyboard-creations.co.uk/Dynamics.pdf
Rich.

Reply #2
Using volume instead of velocity, it is possible to crecendo on one note.  See attached.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Assuming this is what xytor asked (I'm not sure), I suggest using Expression instead of Volume.
This leaves the possibility of adjusting later the mixing without having to correct a lot of MPCs.
(Yes, I know that now we are rich and we have the user tools... ;-)

Reply #4
Oh I see, so by default the volume markers (mf, ppp, etc) are for velocity, but in notation properties I can change it to override volume (then it has parenthases after with the volume), and that will work with decrescendo.
Am I correct?

Edit: I didn't see expression in any of the menus, how do I get to it?
(As you can see, I am new to nwc.. so despite knowing about how to (basically) write music, I am having touble navigating the nwc gui to get at the desired functionality)

Edit#2: i forgot to mention, I am using an old version (1.75b) of nwc.

Reply #5
Put in your dynamic marking (say mf), then you will see a light grey diamond to the left of the marking.
Select this diamond (Shift arrow). Once selected, then ALT Enter to get to the properties.
You will then see the overrides for velocity and volume.

Once you click on the override boxes and enter the values you want, when you click Ok, you will see the values you entered in brackets in a light grey colour.

(This is OK for version 1.75)

Rich.

Reply #6
How come putting a decrescendo or diminuendo does nothing at all to the volume of the note?

I'm sure the technical responses are all accurate, but I think the answer is easier than that. Dynamic variances need starting and target volumes. 

If your default volume is mf and you want to crescendo to ff, you need to enter ff after the crescendo mark.  If you want to go to pp instead, put that after the diminuendo or decrescendo marks.  You can hide them the added dynamic signs if you just want to see the instruction and expect your reader to use his or her judgement about the targeted loudness.

Reply #7
Thank you all, I understand now :)

Reply #8
I'm sure the technical responses are all accurate, but I think the answer is easier than that.
Possibly, but not as easy as your answer. If one follows your advice, one will get velocity changes only. The volume will remain constant.

For a dynamic variance to change the volume, the target dynamic must specify a volume that is different from the volume in effect when the dynamic variance is encountered.

For a dynamic variance to change the velocity, the target dynamic's velocity must be different from the velocity in effect when the dynamic variance is encountered.

Dynamics have default velocities. They do not have default volumes.

The only valid dynamic variances are:

After a valid dynamic variance is encountered, any subsequent dynamic variances are ignored until the next dynamic. This means that the length of hairpins is irrelevant for playback. To stop the variance at the end of a hairpin, insert a dynamic there.

All valid dynamic variances do the same thing.
  • If the target dynamic's velocity is greater than the velocity in effect when the dynamic variance is encountered, a crescendo of the velocity is performed.
  • If the target dynamic's volume is greater than the volume in effect when the dynamic variance is encountered, a crescendo of the volume is performed.
Which valid dynamic variance is present does not matter as far as playback is concerned. It may matter very much to to the human performer.

Dynamic velocity changes do not create MIDI events, they simply alter note on values.
Dynamic volume changes can easily create enough MIDI events to overload a sound card.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
I think I read about the differences between velocity and volume in the PDF, which is why I added my 2 cents worth.  So far as I can tell, this gets louder.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Dynamic|Style:p|Pos:-13|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-4|Opts:Crescendo
|Note|Dur:4th,Triplet=End|Pos:-5|Opts:Crescendo
|Bar
|Dynamic|Style:ff|Pos:-12
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-6
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

This gets softer.
|Dynamic|Style:fff|Pos:-13|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-6|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Diminuendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-4|Opts:Diminuendo
|Note|Dur:4th,Triplet=End|Pos:-5|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Dynamic|Style:ppp|Pos:-13
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-6

For most of us, that's probably all we need to know.  

Reply #10
For most of us, that's probably all we need to know.   

Except if you want to do something like this :

|Dynamic|Style:fff|Pos:-13|Justify:Right
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Instrument|Name:"Trumpet"|Patch:56|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:7
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0^|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Dynamic|Style:ppp|Pos:0

In which case you will need to do this :

|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Dynamic|Style:fff|Opts:Volume=127|Pos:-13|Justify:Right
|Instrument|Name:"Trumpet"|Patch:56|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:7
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0^|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0|Opts:Diminuendo
|Bar
|Dynamic|Style:ppp|Opts:Volume=10|Pos:0
Rich.

Reply #11
Very true.  Everything is contextual.  If the simple explanation works, then keep it simple.  If you need to do the technical stuff, then the technical info is there to be had. 

My philosophy is to start simple, because it may do the trick without having to learn technospeak.