Skip to main content
Topic: Transpose notes when changing treble to bass clef (Read 12345 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpose notes when changing treble to bass clef

Hi there,
I have been using NWC2 for some time but am far from a power user. I am working on a MIDI source of a piece (Rutter's Magnificat). After importing from MIDI the Bass and Tenor parts are showing up with treble clefs. Changing the clef does keep the note constant but I need to transpose to match my vocal score, and frustratingly the transpose tool only allows a maximum of 12 semitones. Is there any way in NWC2 that I can transpose further than this? In case it helps, I just want to make octave shifts.

many thanks,
Jonathan

Re: Transpose notes when changing treble to bass clef

Reply #1
If you want both on the bass clef (or have the bass part by itself), replace the treble clef with a bass clef.  Then press the Home key followed by Shift/End to select the entire staff.  Hold down Ctrl AND Shift and press the up arrow 12 times.

If you have the tenor on its own staff already, do a Cntl/E on its treble clef and select Octave shift down.  Select the staff as above but only press the up arrow 7 times.

Your file may still need some work (e.g., converting midi triplets), but that should handle a lot of the heavy lifting.

BTW, Welcome to the NWC community!
Since 1998

Reply #2
Fantastic! Thank you Warren, that produces exactly what I am looking for.

Reply #3
   Hi, jbn.

As you'll see from my Website - http://www.thehoopers.demon.co.uk - I've keyed in the whole of the Rutter Magnificat (in NWC1.75).  Would you like it?

MusicJohn, 29/Oct/08

Reply #4
Wow! Thank you John, that looks wonderful!!

Reply #6
Does anyone know how to transpose and have the key changes as well?  I transposed a piano melody for a clarinet.  The transposition was correct, but it was in the key of C with accidentals.  How can I get it to be in the key of "D" with the correct key signature at the beginning of the piece? (reply to bobsch3@gmail.com)

Reply #7
You always have to start with a key signature, even in C major, to make the key signature change on the transposition.

So immediately after your treble clef, press K for insert key signature, and select C major.  That will insert a natural sign on the top line F, with a visibility setting Never (in other words, it won't print). 

Now when you transpose the piano treble clef line for Bb clarinet, you merely press T for Tools, T for transpose, and choose +2 semitones.  The new key signature replaces the old one, the notes move, and any accidentals should change appropriately as well.

You can choose to "update" the staff playback, so what you hear when you press Play is the original pitch, or if you don't select it, you'll be able to play the clarinet along with the playback, which will be transposed.

Reply #8
....and to add to David's excellent reply: if you want to fix a score you've already transposed, simply place the proper key signature (in this case, D Major) at the beginning of the each staff and then choose "audit accidentals" from the "tools" menu. This will remove all the sharps or flats belonging to the signature (in this case, C# and F#) from the notes in the tune, leaving only the actual (out of the key) accidentals.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #9
So immediately after your treble clef, press K for insert key signature, and select C major.  That will insert a natural sign on the top line F, with a visibility setting Never (in other words, it won't print).
The visibility setting will be whatever the visibility setting was the last time you inserted a key signature in the same session. For the first time, it will be Visibility:Default.

Visibility:Default is not the same as Visibility:Never! For a key of Signature:C, none of the visibility options will produce any ink, but they cause different spacing, which can easily be seen here:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Bar
|Key|Signature:C|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
|Bar
|Key|Signature:C
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:Half
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Yeah, I know. Picky, picky ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #10
You're not picky, Rick, you just like accuracy.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Do you suggest the C major key signature at the beginning of a staff will print?  It looks to me as if it doesn't print, even if it is set to Visibility Always.

(Appropriate natural signs will show and print when other key signatures change to C major.)

Reply #11
Do you suggest the C major key signature at the beginning of a staff will print? 
Keys: C, F and G take up the same amount of space. No ink goes on the page for C.
Registered user since 1996