Skip to main content
Topic: Disappearing sounds (Read 3747 times) previous topic - next topic

Disappearing sounds

I am writing a SATB song accompanied with some strings. The problem here is that when there are too many string instruments playing all together the vocal sound eventually disappears! What's going on?

Must be too much layering, right?

Re: Disappearing sounds

Reply #1
You're probably running into either MIDI choke or more likely polyphony limits in your synth.

What OS, sound card and synth. are you using?  What CPU (and speed) and how much RAM?

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Could you attach an example, please?
Since 1998

Reply #3
Could also be masking. Voices and strings have similar timbres, which means they also have similar overtone structures, and with synthesized sounds the two could easily meld. I second Warren's request for an example.

Bill

Reply #4
Sorry I didn't responded for a while...

But anyway, here's the attachment... The notes that are colored are the ones where their sounds begin to disappear (It may have not include voices but it's still the same problem).     

Reply #5
G'day Kristopher,
I tried on my MS GS Wavetable synth (default microsoft) and had dropouts.  Notes would start but were cut off very short.

Tried on VSTHost using VSTSynthFont and Reality 32MB soundfont and it was OK.

Seems you might have a synth related issue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
No dropouts with my hardware synth. Looks like polyphonic overload. The sustain pedal causes a lot of notes to be on at the same time.

BTW, Sustain Pedal Up and Release affect the MIDI channel, not just the staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
No dropouts with my hardware synth. Looks like polyphonic overload. The sustain pedal causes a lot of notes to be on at the same time.
You've got point Rick. Actually I've tried the software on another computer (not really mine) and used the default MIDI "MS GS Wavetable synth", there was no "disappearing sound". It GOTTA be polyphonic overload.

Reply #8
I have run it through with no problems. I use a Creative Audigy 7 Sound card.

Tony