Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Final release (Read 5746 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Final release

Is there any estimated date of when the final release will be? I believe NWC2 has been in development since 2004, and as of yet, 4 years later, nothing I've heard of. But, if we were to put an estimate, would we be talking ... later this year? 2009? Or would this be a big project that would take 10+ years, and not be released until after 2015 or something?

Re: Re: Final release

Reply #1
NWC2 will be available for purchase shortly...

Reply #2
It's already available! It was released just a few days ago!

Reply #3
Really?

Reply #5
I have only just got round to looking at the new User's Guide to NWC2 and I am very impressed with it.  It should solve a lot of problems for new users (and indeed for some  of us regulars!).  It is a pity that it is such a lot of pages to print out if you want a paper copy to avoid having to keep swapping Windows screens.  I wonder how much it would cost to produce as an optional purchase?

Tony

Reply #6
I have only just got round to looking at the new User's Guide to NWC2 and I am very impressed with it
Yeah, it is nicely done, isn't it?

It is a pity that it is such a lot of pages to print out if you want a paper copy
If you have Adobe Reader 9, you can highlight the text and copy it to a word processor. 

The 117 pages could reduce to less than 30 if you print two pages on each side of your paper.  You could also leave out the information you already know.  And you can adjust the font and fiddle with the paragraph spacing, too.

Reply #7
David,

In effect I have already applied the treatment to the original "Command Reference"  for NWC 1  I was thinking of those who are taking up NWC2 for the first time amd are not necessarily computer experts!

Tony 

Reply #8
I guess the best way to overcome the constant changing of screens would be for them to learn to display 2 windows at once.  Then they can keep the manual on one part of the screen and the program on the other.

If you're asking if Eric plans to sell a hardcopy of the manual, I wonder...   A lot of software producers don't do that anymore, but this one looks like it's high enough quality to print.

From a tree's point of view, a printed published manual would mean NWC would have to place an order from the printer for a minimum quantity.  That may mean many copies sitting unused in NWC's offices awaiting an order.  Wasted trees?  Then shipping costs from printer to office and from office to customer.  Also wasteful of resources.

Reply #9
Quote from: David Palmquist
a printed published manual would mean NWC would have to place an order from the printer for a minimum quantity.

Not any more. Do a google search on "on demand publishing." Printing each copy as you receive an order for it is not yet the standard way of publishing books, but it is no longer an oddity.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #10
I do not suppose there are enough potential customers for a printed manual prepared to pre-order to justify a print run.
Tony

Reply #11
Well, the point is, you don't have to do a print run any more. The publisher just has to have the camera-ready copy in a computer and added to a data base of books printed to a specific set of specs (number of pages, page size, ink type, etc.). The actual printing of each copy doesn't take place until an order is received for it. The NWC User's Guide is already in pdf format, so very little more should be required.

OTOH, you can do the same thing yourself, either by printing it out at home or putting it on a disc and taking it down to Kinko's. So I'm not sure Eric needs to go to the trouble of making the arrangements.

Bill

Reply #12
With the price of home colour laser printers so reasonable now, there's not much point to ordering a manual unless you want a booklet sized one woth a fancy cover, etc.

Reply #13
David,

I have printed out the manual. quite a lengthy task on my modest Canon printer.  But I find that trying to work with a split screen is not on; the size of the print and the size of the Noteworthy scores both become too small for comfort on a 15" monitor.

Tony

Reply #14

a lengthy task on my modest Canon printer.
I hear you.