Skip to main content
Topic: One leger line & bottom of bracket (Read 4401 times) previous topic - next topic

One leger line & bottom of bracket

Hi,

I have reduced a lower orchestral staff to one leger line, for a drum accompaniment. Unfortunately the line ends up slightly higher than the bottom of the bracket. Is there a way round this? Thanks.

Nick

Re: One leger line & bottom of bracket

Reply #1
This is what I usually see. To do both would be nice, but I don't  think it a serious problem.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
Yeah, I'd classify this as a bug. Top and bottom problems. A Percussion staff on top is uncommon except for 2 staff percussion only parts. NWC2's handling of orchestral systems has been the subject of much heated discussion.

AFAIK, there is no fix short of postprocessing the image file and/or some tedious digital whiteout.

Edit: the attachment is a(n) NWC2 file. I believe that the problem exists in both versions.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Percussion parts in score are usually standard, not orchestral.
 NWC handles this correctly..
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #4
If you make the percussion staves standard, they look even worse. I would expect NWC's output to look something like my attachment. I consider NWC's default handling to be incorrect.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5

Hi Carl,

I'm not qualified to comment on this; except that I am copying what exists in the scholarly tome I'm using.

The example I'm doing just now is for vocal line and drum only; so just two staves and I need the barlines to be continuous through both. The fact that the single leger line doesn't come right to the bottom of the bracket is, I agree, not a serious problem but it is an irritation and the way the barlines cut through the line is an eyesore.

I hoped that there was a ruse I'd missed to deal with this or an easy workaround might be possible. It seems not.

There is another example I've done where there are three staves and I've been able to put the percussive effect, the clacking of a goat-mask's jaws!, on a single line in the middle orchestral staff, which is fine.

Reply #6
The fact that the single leger line doesn't come right to the bottom of the bracket is, I agree, not a serious problem but it is an irritation and the way the barlines cut through the line is an eyesore.

Hi,

An eyesore to me they may be, but the bar lines cutting through the leger line seems standard, as Carl suggested. Sorry. However the book always uses orchestral staves, (added later)
and the single leger line is always raised significantly from the bottom of the thick black line of the staff in NWC, whereas it is always flush with the bottom in the book.

Reply #7
Strange question for you, Nick, but I'm curious.  Why do you refer to a single line percussion staff as a leger line?  I've always understood a leger line to be a short line above or below a staff, not one of the staff lines proper. 

Reply #8
Strange question for you, Nick, but I'm curious.  Why do you refer to a single line percussion staff as a leger line?  I've always understood a leger line to be a short line above or below a staff, not one of the staff lines proper. 

Oh dear! Thanks, David, for pointing this out and for your diplomacy. Yes, I just meant by leger line a horizontal full staff line and had got confused.

Reply #9
Diplomacy?  No way.  I just figured there was something more I could learn.  I quit knowing everything when I was 30, and that was a long time ago (believe me!).