Skip to main content
Topic: Can't fit the notes in the bar! (Read 4726 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't fit the notes in the bar!

I have had a sudden mental blockage!

In a single bar I have two notes with downward facing staffs, both minims (half notes). There are also three notes with upward facing staffs. a dotted minim and two quavers (eighth notes)  Can I insert these and preserve the correct bar length without using layering?  I don't want to use a single layered staff in a 9 page score!

Tony

Re: Can't fit the notes in the bar!

Reply #1
This is one way. You have to enter the rest chord with a small offset and then edit it in notepad to make the offset bigger.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:AllaBreve
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half,Dotted|Pos2:-1
|RestChord|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-3
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
Thank you, Peter, I will try that.

Tony

Reply #3
Thanks Peter. That's really useful when only a few bars require unusual tricky insertions of a second voice and (as Tony says) you don't want a long layered staff.  It surprises me that it also plays back correctly.  The dotted minim ignores the crotchet rest in the rest-chord and continues to sound for its full value.  I suppose this has been discussed before in the forum but I must have missed it.

Bill.

Reply #4
I suppose this has been discussed before in the forum but I must have missed it.
Similar discussion <here>.
Hiding the rest discussed <here>.

Some combinations require layering as RestChords cannot be beamed :(
Registered user since 1996