Skip to main content
Topic: Chord member command without layering? (Read 3233 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord member command without layering?

I'm new to NWC2 and am running Vista.
How can I add notes to a chord but keep the stem directions separate, on one staff?
Is it possible to do this without having to layer?

Example: When I want to add a tenor note (stem up) above a bass note (stem down), I follow the usual procedure. I position the cursor to the right of the bass note, move it up to the tenor note pitch, toggle Stem-Up, ensure the note durations match, then activate the Chord Member command. However, when the tenor note is generated, the bass note loses its down stem and both notes now have their stems up.
The FAQ item about Chord Member Command gives no detail about how to prevent this. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Layering has been a problem as I can't seem to avoid layering collisions and tons of rests contaminating the layered score.

Re: Chord member command without layering?

Reply #1
Try <this>

IMO, layering is the superior method as there are many restrictions on splt stem chords that are not likely to be relaxed.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
As Rick said, layering is the superior method.  Forcing stem up/down on the same staff won't work when the parts cross over (e.g., tenor lower than bass) or one part has, say, dotted-quarter & eighth while the other has two quarters.

As for problems with rests, you can select rests and either move them up or down (while waiting to come in, the basses see whole rests under the tenor/bass staff) or change their visibility to never.  With a long rest, you can copy a hidden whole rest and a visibile bar line to the clipboard and paste it back as needed.

*Edited change* You can also send the rests into the stratosphere with a vertical offset of 2000.  Copy a rest to the clipboard, paste into notepad to change it, then cypy it back.

Hope these ideas can get you started.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Thanks gents,
I will bow to the layering option. Onwards through the fog!

Reply #4
G'day Jake,
in simple cases, chord members with opposing stems are easy when you know how.

The key is stem direction.  The FIRST note also has to have a stem direction.  So:
to enter the tenor note, press <Shift-Up> and enter the note.  Now press <Shift-Down> and enter the bass note.  As long as there is no cross over this will work correctly.

Note also that rests have stem direction too when used in a "split stem" chord.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Hi Lawrie,

I tried it as you described. Each note had opposing stems but they ended up as separate notes--not in the same chord. When I tried creating the chord, the stems once again aligned in the same direction.

I will keep trying to tinker with this...

Reply #6

Hi again Lawrie,

Success!

First note, bass: <shift><down>, NOTE.
Move to tenor pitch above existing note.
Second note, tenor: <shift><up>, <CHORD MEMBER>, NOTE.

This is probably what you meant. The sequence is key. Thanks so much!

And hey, this means I can do some basic four part stuff without layering. How cool is that?!

Jake