Skip to main content
Topic: Connecting Technics SX-PR40 digital piano to Laptop (Read 7917 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting Technics SX-PR40 digital piano to Laptop

Hi Chaps,
I've been looking at this forum to see if anyone has had this problem before but as yet haven't found a relevant post. I expect I'm repeating a past question, but please excuse me if this is the case.

I'm trying to connect the PR40 to my laptop   using a Logilink USB midi cable (UA0037 v1.0) and follow the technics instructions, but I can't 'turn on' the output from the keyboard. My PC 'sees' the usb device but I can't record anything from it. The piano is very old so there is no mention of it on the Technics site so I can't get help there!

(I will be using the latest version of Noteworthy, when the CD arrives)

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks
Julian

Re: Connecting Technics SX-PR40 digital piano to Laptop

Reply #1
G'day Julian,
'bout the only thing I can think of is to make sure that you have the MIDI OUT from the USB MIDI cable connected to the MIDI IN of the keyboard and the MIDI IN of the USB MIDI cable connected to the MIDI OUT of the keyboard.

I.E.  IN and OUT refer to each device individually - the OUT of one device needs to be connected to the IN of the other/next device.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks for that tip, L. P. .... I'd got the in plugged in the in.( well it seemed logical at the time but I now see its not.  Now all I need it find out how to get the keyboard to 'send'......

Reply #3
G'day Julian,
glad that made sense.  Next thing would be to open a "click track" - |File|New|Rhythm (tab)|any available template - then click the "Record" button (a red dot).  While the rhythm pattern is playing back you can press keys on the keyboard.

Provided the keyboard is actually sending data AND you have selected the correct MIDI input device in |Tools|Options|Record (Tab) then you should be fine...

One thing to watch out for when recording from the keyboard is latency if you are using a softsynth.  Softsynths take time to produce a sound when triggered - actually all synths exhibit latency but hardware synths have so much lower latency that it is virtually unnoticable.

Reply #4
Thanks again Lawrie!

I've managed to record something in the play sequencer of the keyboard and have recorded it to the software. I'll now try you next tip and see what happens.

(So far I've not been able to split the left and right hands, but now I've got some output I can play with it. At some time I'll also need to suss how to play corrected score back through the keyboard, but I think I'd better learn to crawl before I try to run!)

What a useful forum this is!

Thanks
 Julian

Reply #5
G'day Julian,
pleased to help.

Playback is easy - select the USB MIDI device in |Tools|Options|Midi|Devices use by playback.  Best to make sure it's the only playback device selected...

Reply #6
So far I've not been able to split the left and right hands

In TOOLS>OPTIONS select the Record Tab.
In the lower box select:-
After recording import staff into "Buffer Only".

When recording complete select STAFF>IMPORT RECORDING.
This will open the MIDI Import dialogue.
At Step 3 select the first Track and Edit.
Select the range C5 through G10 for the Treble Staff then OK.
(Returns to Step 3)
Add a Track and select it then Edit.
Select the Range C0 through B4 for the Bass Clef.
Finish.

All notes from middle C and above will go on to the Treble Staff.
Lower notes to the Bass Staff.

Select the Treble Staff and in STAFF>PROPERTIES>VISUAL choose STYLE: Upper Grand Staff.
Repeat for the Bass Staff choosing STYLE: Lower Grand Staff.
Add Key and Time Signatures as required.

Reply #7
Thanks Barry

think I'm going to be playing with this and getting into trouble with 'the management' for not cooking the dinner today!

Regards
Julian

Reply #8

think I'm going to be playing with this and getting into trouble with 'the management' for not cooking the dinner today!

I hear your pain.  A pizza may only be a phone call away...

Reply #9
Ah yes, the telephone.  My favourite kitchen appliance :)