Skip to main content
Topic: Hey, we're in "Free Rice" ! How remarkable. (Read 5325 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey, we're in "Free Rice" ! How remarkable.

Hello all,
I have been donating rice to the needy for a few days now, on www.freerice.com .
Here's what I saw there just now:

noteworthy means:
   1. cloudy
   2. disadvantageous
   3. small-scale
   4. remarkable

Well, I did not see 4 choices for Finale yet!

Re: Hey, we're in "Free Rice" ! How remarkable.

Reply #1

Thanks, Rob, I made it to 500 grains before deciding to stop, but I did miss a few on the way.

Reply #2
Nothing wrong with my vocabulary. My level tends to be forty-ish, but I have played up to 46 (twice already!) - only to drop back to below 40. But good fun for a good cause. And I learn the odd thing on the way.

Reply #3
I hit 41 for awhile, but then seemed level off at 38 and just under 700 grains of sand.  I've bookmarked it and will try again several times.  Good fun.  Thanks for posting the link.  I've also shared it with some people who are into words.
John

Reply #4
Grains of rice, of course. The page automagically adjusts to your level. People who aren't very much into words will play on their on level - and score as many correct answers as you or me, thereby feeding the needy (and helping them in a structural way as well - see the FAQ) and learning a bit at the same time. And yes, it's fun to do. Hope they start pages in French and German as well.

A good thing that Noteworthy is called Noteworthy!

Reply #5
What was cool was the third word in was my wife's favorite word - undulation.  So I just had to share that with her.

Yes, I read the FAQs about adjusting to your level.  It's a pretty neat thing.  And I barely noticed the ads at all, so in a sense, the advertisers really are being somewhat charitable, as well.

John

Reply #6
Haven't seen my favourite word yet. Callipygous.
Can't say if it describes me but it's a beautiful word for which we poor Dutch have nothing in our vocabulary.

Reply #7
Rob,

Callipygous?   Beautiful?  It depends on whether you are a man or a woman.

Tony

Reply #8
Callipygous, huh?

Reminds me of my favorite Greek goddess - Cutucus (pronounced Cute Tuchus)

Think about it.

:)
John

Reply #9
Anyway, I have hit level 46 a number of times now. Boy I'm happy.
The word "Noteworthy" has helped me only once, hope it will pop up more often. Can't advertise it enough!

Reply #10
Undulating callipygous, perhaps an aspect of dancing?

Reply #11
I am thinking of ferrets now ;-)