Skip to main content
Topic: How to put a rehearsal symbol at front of a line? (Read 20792 times) previous topic - next topic

How to put a rehearsal symbol at front of a line?

I am trying to put rehearsal symbols in a part I'm working on.  In the tempo staff (layered into the part I am trying to print) I am doing a shifted "[nn]" in boxmarks and placing the text at the next note/bar.  If it falls in the middle of a line in the preview, all is well.  Where the next rehearsal symbol will be on a line break, is there any way to force the symbol to be after the clef and key signature on the next line?  Of course, there is no way to tell if the symbol will be on the end of a line until print or print preview.

TIA
Since 1998

Re: How to put a rehearsal symbol at front of a line?

Reply #1
You might be able to put it after a barline with a force system break.

Reply #2
Place the rehearsal letter before the first note in the next bar rather than before the bar line itself. As Staff Signature works quite well and play around with the justification.

Reply #3
I think Warren's question is: "Is there one combination of text, justification and placement that will work whether the system breaks or not?". I've never been able to find one.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
|Text|Text:"A"|Font:User2|Pos:13|Wide:N|Justify:Right|Placement:AsStaffSignature|Color:0|Visibility:TopStaff

I think this always works for me whether or not there's a line wrap or not.

I usually use Lawrie's SwingDings font as User2

Reply #5
Rick G. described the problem.  Attached is a file with measure numbers as text to illustrate.
Since 1998

Reply #6
Rick G. described the problem.

See if this solves your problem.  I moved the text entries a bit lower so they wouldn't collide with the notes, but the fix was just to move each number across the bar line, and make it right-justified.

Reply #7
Thanks David.  It would be nice to have that on top of the barline, but your placement looks as good as it can get without doing each rehearsal symbol by hand.  Thanks again.
Since 1998

Reply #8
There you go, Warren.  Took about 3 seconds to do it.  Just highlight from the first text entry to the end of the song, then select properties (Control E), and change the placement from -8 to 8.

I've added some more staffs with two other tricks that you might find meet your needs too.

Reply #9
Rick, Warren,

Isn't that what I suggested in the first place? I'm bemused.

Reply #10
Isn't that what I suggested in the first place? I'm bemused.
Sorry I didn't acknowlege that.  At that time I hadn't thrown in the towel about putting symbols on the barline.

I've added some more staffs with two other tricks that you might find meet your needs too.
Thanks.  I have to ask what did you do to make 121 number the notes on Staff-1?
Since 1998

Reply #11
Warren, the numbers on that staff are lyric syllables, with the options set to display the lyric above the staff. David, that is a very neat trick which I will have to borrow.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #12
I have to ask what did you do to make 121 number the notes on Staff-1?

Warren, Bill's nailed it. 

Bill, you can't borrow the trick, you can have it as a gift.  Gee, I'm awful generous, eh?