Skip to main content
Topic: Question about using NWC with files other than GM (Read 3363 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about using NWC with files other than GM

I found a link to a site callled NoteWorth Composer Scriptorium. with an asortment of
very useful items.

Several items I found Xg-full.nwc and xg-cond.nwc in particula look like they will allow me to use Yamaha Midi XG sounds. I may be missing something, but I don't find a way to tell
NWC2 how to use these. I am new at using the product.

Can anyone suggest how to set it up.

So far the help I have found has been very good, but sometimes I am not familiar with
the terminology in order to find the documetation.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, even if it is links to answers for
others. It is terrific you have these resources available.

Thank you again, in advance for any help you can offer

Dwight
Troy NH

Re: Question about using NWC with files other than GM

Reply #1
G'day Dwight,
Several items I found Xg-full.nwc and xg-cond.nwc in particula look like they will allow me to use Yamaha Midi XG sounds. I may be missing something, but I don't find a way to tell NWC2 how to use these. I am new at using the product.

Can anyone suggest how to set it up.

The range of sounds available from the XG synth is accessed by selecting "bank" and "instrument" numbers.  You can only access them if you have an XG synth...

E.G  In NWC2 you select a staff, press <Alt-Enter> to go to the staff properties and then select the instrument tab.

In the "MIDI Patch Instructions" you have several options you can select from:

• Send Patch
  • Send Bank Select
    • MSB (Most Significant Byte)
    • LSB (Least Significant Byte)

The effect of these will vary slightly from synth to synth in that if you select a patch and bank for, say, your XG synth and then play back on the MS wavetable the instrument may not exist...

OK now, in the GM set patch 0, MSB 0 and LSB 0 are Accoustic Grand Piano - ditto in the XG set
In the XG set Patch 62, MSB 0 and LSB 12 is - "Quack Brass" - this doesn't even exist in the GM set.

To make life easier NWC2 uses an "itree" or instrument tree facility whereby you can edit a text file called an nwcitree and setup the patch settings so that simply selecting an instrument does all the work for you.

There are example itrees in the forum and the Scripto.

Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Itree

Forum:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5553.0

The itree format is a little complex but understandable once you get into it - there are explanatory notes in the "sample" itree.  It is a text file that you can edit with notepad.

Remember: Always work on a copy...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thank you very much

I will take some time to study those areas.

dwight

Reply #3
Probably most of the items you can download from the Scriptorium will have been written using the standard GS wavetable soundfont.  They may sound better or not as good with an alternative font because the instrument selected is chosen by its number in the soundfont and not all sound fonts have the same instrument at any particular number.  Some organ compositins in the scriptorium may have two versions, one with the standard font and one for the "jeux" organ font, for example.

Tony