Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics disappear from midi file. (Read 4341 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics disappear from midi file.

I ran the linked midi file through a karaoke program and had no trouble looking at the lyrics, but they disappeared from an import into NWC2.  Any ideas?

TIA

http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/b/wbport/ATT00061.mid
Since 1998

Re: Lyrics disappear from midi file.

Reply #2
That did it; many thanks.
Since 1998

Reply #3
A Forum search show many post related to ths topic.
Judging from <this>, an update to the MIDI Import Wizard is likely.
I think it would be useful to add this option:

Step 1: Define the default import options

Include Lyrics?
  • based on filetype (*.kar, *.mid, *.rmi)
  • from Lyric Text Event (karaoke)
  • from Lyric Meta Event (midi, resource midi)
  • no

As noted <here> over a decade ago, several imports using different parameters are usually needed.
Selecting the last option: no, would speed this process and reduce clutter.

Currently, getting options 2 and 3 require the user to rename files.
Windows is getting progressively hostile to renaming file extensions. In another 5 years, the typical user may not even know that files have extensions.
Registered user since 1996

Conversions of MPC's on imported Midi's

Reply #4
I tried to import this file http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/b/wbport/nwc2/house_ri.mid into NWC2, but there are a number of wrong notes in the "tenor sax" part.  Converting the original midi into text gives something that looks like this sample:
Code: [Select · Download]
3:176 |On Note	 | chan= 4   | pitch=D 2	 | vol=121
204 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=464
212 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=1456
220 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=2528
228 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=3392
236 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=4432
244 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=5312
248 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=6256
256 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=7280
264 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=8191
336 |Off Note | chan= 4   | pitch=d 2 | vol=0
368 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=6800
376 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=4784
  14: 1:  4 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=1680
12 |Pitch Wheel | chan= 4   | bend=0
Is there any way to keep the pitch wheel (or other commands) in MPC's intact?  This comes out when the NWC version is re-exported: http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/b/wbport/nwc2/house_ri1.mid

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Conversions of MPC's on imported Midi's

Reply #5
Is there any way to keep the pitch wheel (or other commands) in MPC's intact?
No. MPC's are a NoteWorthy construct and must be converted to delta times and MIDI messages for export. The actual MPC data is lost. Importing it would be like putting tooth paste back in the tube. Tempo (the exception), is imported inexactly and sometimes very verbosely into one staff. This works because tempo is not channel specific. To import pitch bends this way would require a separate staff for each channel on which a pitch bend occurs, or the data would need to be included on the staff where the notes are. The latter would cause some serious clutter.

You have already started to do what I do, i.e.,  dump the file to text. With some practice, you will learn how to roughly interpret things and get them back into NWC2. 
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Rick:

Once again, many thanks.

I'm starting to think some questions of mine on midi are bordering on off-topic for NWC.  Can you suggest other online resources for just midi, not directly related to NWC?
Since 1998